Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear window blown out--how to replace

my sons 96 legacy 4 door....somehow the rear drivers side door window shattered...all by itself

I pulled the interior door panel off and looked in

Looks like there are two areas that the window bolts to...and 2 round discs that attach to the window but there are no bolts holdinging them on. I assumed it would totally bolt on and off

Anone familiar with doing this? Otherwise I will look for a used piece and take to an automotive glass shop

thanks!

Suggest you go to a wrecking yard. One that lets you pull off parts. That way you will see how glass is installed. Pulling out the replacement glass will also teach you how to replace in your son's car. It should not be a difficult do it yourself project. Get your son involved too. He will appreciate his car more, when he fixes his car.

Best also to use a vacuum cleaner hose to remove the broken chunks of glass inside the door and elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks fairtax

got it done. Had some issues with the bolt spinning with the nut I was trying to take off. there must we a special spanner type wrench to hold the do-hickey on the opposite side. thank god the glass was gone and foe vise grips

the window went up and down with some resistence...then, it would not come down at all....:mad:...but who cares...I'll look at it in the spring. maybe some shattered glass got in the scissor part of the mechanism

thanks all for input

Glad to hear that you got the glass in. Agree with you, about waiting until Spring to see why the scissors up and down action is jamming. This time of year is not the best time of year to be outside working in the cold. At least you got the window glass in the up position to keep out the weather for the winter.