Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Rebuild Kit?

OK...I've rebuilt and built engines but never a boxer. Does Subaru offer a rebuild kit for the 1.8 engine? Any GOOD after market kits out there? I know these engines are simple but they are foreign to me....is a good rebuild on these a difficult job? Is it an expensive proposition? I am finding a few cars that I am looking for (81-89) but if they are not rust buckets they have engine issues. Thanks.

Subaru offers all the parts, but not a "kit" per-se. You would have to order the individual parts. A good source for aftermarket is www.rockauto.com. For gaskets just go to the dealer as aftermarket are inferior - for internal parts - Sealed Power (Fel-Pro) has been fine for the builds I've done.

Rebuilding them is not typically neccesary in the usual sense of the word. The short blocks are very robust so it's usually just heads and such that have to be rebuilt - which doesn't usually involve any parts outside what the machine shop sources for valves, seats, and stem seals. Then gaskets and what not - which are best purchased at the dealer except for the heads gaskets - most of us use the Fel-Pro perma-torque head gaskets for the EA's because they don't require a retorque procedure.

Rebuilding a short-block on an EA (unless you are building a high-output EA81 or something) is typically a losing proposition - the parts and machine work will run more than a good running car that has 150k left in it.

GD

Thanks, once again, for all the help you have given me since I joined up here GD. I appreciate your info. The car I'm looking at is 1000 miles away and owned by a woman. She does not seem to know much about cars and her answers regarding the smoke and other questions are meager at best. I like the looks of the car and am perplexed that it would have engine problems. Rust I can understand and walk away from but engine problems in these are relatively rare and difficult for me to diagnose from 1000 miles away. Seems when I DO find a reasonably priced unit that I'm looking for they are rust buckets or have engine issues. Hence, my question about the availability of a rebuild kit. My biggest problem is that when I find a non rusty car it is always going to be FAR from Wisconsin where I live. I'm a car guy and a bit of a perfectionist so I have a real problem buying a car sight unseen. If the car looks good and the seller builds trust via phone conversations I don't mind rolling the dice on a plane ticket. But that requires that the car is a driver and I can drive it home. Shipping a non runner is a bit more of a gamble that I am, at this point, willing to take. I really want another one of these. I loved the one I had back in the early 80's. I'm just having a problem spending more and gambling more. I guess the answer is spending more for a non-rusty good runner. But, even then, it's always a gamble with a car you have never laid eyes (or hands) on.

EA81's are so simple - and relatively easy to obtain that I just wouldn't worry about - in my opinion that's just a way to bargain the price down. Body and interior I can't fix easily but an engine swap is a simple fix - even better if it doesn't run at all! Get it cheaper that way.

Even one that purports to "run good" could have the same problems - a local member recently bought an '84 sedan and the engine runs alright - no smoking, etc. But it's got a main bearing knock that is scary. It's not real audible unless you know what you are listenting for but we changed the oil and for a few seconds on start up (dry filter) it was UGLY loud. So it's on the way out for sure.

I would look for a nice body and interior and *hope* you can find one that just needs an engine or tranny. That would be spectacular - you can get those but you can't easily fix 30 years of abuse to the body and interior.

GD

That's a good point, GD and one that I have practiced over the years. Body and interiors and the underside have always been what I look for in a car first. Mechanical stuff I figure I can fix. On a Subie, however, I just don't know enough yet and the engines/trannies are 20 to 30 years old. The fact that they ARE that old makes your other point more relevant....there could be any number of things lurking even in a seemingly good running engine. The car that I am looking at looks nice but the woman's answer to my question...."how much rust?"......is .... "none that I know of". I doubt that she has ever looked at the underside with the car on a rack. When I asked if it had Dual Range (I'm pretty sure it does) her answer was...."no idea." Pretty scary.:grin:

EA81's are so simple - and relatively easy to obtain that I just wouldn't worry about - in my opinion that's just a way to bargain the price down. Body and interior I can't fix easily but an engine swap is a simple fix - even better if it doesn't run at all! Get it cheaper that way.

Even one that purports to "run good" could have the same problems - a local member recently bought an '84 sedan and the engine runs alright - no smoking, etc. But it's got a main bearing knock that is scary. It's not real audible unless you know what you are listenting for but we changed the oil and for a few seconds on start up (dry filter) it was UGLY loud. So it's on the way out for sure.

I would look for a nice body and interior and *hope* you can find one that just needs an engine or tranny. That would be spectacular - you can get those but you can't easily fix 30 years of abuse to the body and interior.

GD

Hey :D thats my 84 DL :D lol. Gotta love that engine knock... But once I have the money, or if Jacob wants to accept it later we can put the other engine in, and with care it should have another 100k or so :D

Best thing you can do is ask for pics and or video and tell her very specifically where the pics should be taken from and what you want in the pics.

Then it's phone conversations and decision time. There is also eBay, but it's only slightly less risky.

Good Luck.

That's a good point, GD and one that I have practiced over the years. Body and interiors and the underside have always been what I look for in a car first. Mechanical stuff I figure I can fix. On a Subie, however, I just don't know enough yet and the engines/trannies are 20 to 30 years old. The fact that they ARE that old makes your other point more relevant....there could be any number of things lurking even in a seemingly good running engine. The car that I am looking at looks nice but the woman's answer to my question...."how much rust?"......is .... "none that I know of". I doubt that she has ever looked at the underside with the car on a rack. When I asked if it had Dual Range (I'm pretty sure it does) her answer was...."no idea." Pretty scary.:grin: