Ultimate Subaru Message Board

03' Legacy L Sedan 2.5L SOHC

I am looking to increase horsepower output of my engine. I don't want to spend the money on a turbo upgrade, and I am aware that upgrading the intake and exhaust will help. I would like to know what else there is that I could do. Let me know if you can help! Thanks for your time!

Intake and exhaust will not help enough to warrant the cost or risk (with the intake) of changing them. They are not restrictive enough to matter on your engine. You might get 5 HP at 5000 RPM - not worth the trouble or expense.

If you want power, the cheapest solution is to change your cams and retune the ECU. Beyond that you are looking at a LOT of money to do some serious head work.

GD

i'm with GD. the gains to be had from an N/A motor are rather small. it's usually better to enjoy the car for what it's good at than make it something it's not. a fast, cheap EJ25 is going to be a tough project.

i haven't seen many dyno charts for N/A mods like exhaust and intake.

if you want novelty and a little fun then by all means get whatever you want, intake, exhaust, etc.

Edited by grossgary

In my opinion, there are little gains to be had in a n/a engine without spending a lot of cash.

Better use would be in handling: tires, brakes, anti-sway bars and making sure your car is fully tuned up with quality parts and fluids.