Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb & Emmissions Questions

My neighbor bought an 85 GL wagon 2wd 5 speed, ea82 carb, super stiripped down (manual windows, ac delete, no radio, etc) It needs a clutch. I'm planning on pulling the motor to do the clutch and resealing it since it has leaked about a half a qt of oil in my driveway in the past 24 hrs. I'm shocked with the amount of vac lines and other hoses that run around under the hood. many of them a re cracked, a few of the solinoids are broken and it is a real mess.

If I convert the car to a weber with one of the redline kits can I remove all this other crap from under the hood? The car is exempt from emissions testing because of its age. Why are there 2 vac lines in the distributor? is there a normal mechanical advance in the distributor?

What vacum lines need to stay in place? There seem to be a few that run into the firewall (maybe for heater controls?) It would be nice to clean up this mess in the engine bay. Even if only to simplify maintenece on it.

Thanks

-Rich

Yes - Weber it.

Forget about the hard-lines.

Run 3 vacuum hoses - one to the distributor (to whichever effects the most advance by sucking on the hose - leave the other one OPEN). Another to the EGR, and the third is for the cabin HVAC control actuators.

That's pretty much it - you can throw the rest away. If you don't recognize what it is - it's probably round-file material.

GD

thanks for the reply. i was gonna spin up the distrbutor in the machine...how much total timing can you run on 87? i was planning on something around 36 all in by 2500ish and trying to limit the vacuum advance to 40 degrees. anyone have any input?

Update. Just pulled engine. it was too easy! Timing belts look good. but the idler bearings howl. oil is leaking form everywhere.(front and rear mainsm cams oil pump, headgaskets) got most of the external stuff stripped off the engine. the EGR valve is shot so i think I'm gonna make a blockoff plate for it and for the air injector pipes near the exhaust ports.

I'll try to pull the cam boxes and heads tomorrow. Maybe drop them off at the machine shop monday to get em cleaned. So far so good.

once i get the distrubutor in the machine I'll let you guys know what the curve is like. springs in there feel awfully stiff!!

Edited by XCSP700

Yeah, I was planning on recurving it. or a least checking it out. I have a distributor machine at work. I use it all the time, though usually for v8s. I should be able to make it fire, I've done plenty of other electronic distributors with the machine. My suspicion (from turning the rotor by hand) is that it comes in very late, But I will know for sure monday/tuesday.

If you could check to see what the total timing is in the manual I would appreciate it. just the # of degrees and the rpm that it stops advancing will be enough for me you don't have to got through the trouble of scanning it.

Anouther update. I pulled the intake cam boxes and heads toninght. the bores look great (no ridge, nice crosshatch) but the back of 3 of the intake valves and the tops of the pistons have alot of carbon buildup, so I think it will need valve seals.

This is a helpful thread thanks! Just got an 87 GL wagon and was thinking of converting to webers and to remove some of the emissions tubes if advisable!

Rather than start a new thread, it seems on topic to ask if you all can point me in the right direction to a place to find the redline kits and possibly a service manual (prefer downloadable).

Many thanks and dont mean to threadjack... I'm subscribed and good luck with your neighbor's subaru! :)

Ok, I spun the distributor today, 14 degrees all in at 5k!! 12 degrees on inside advance, 7 on outside. I'm gonna have to find some lighter springs or heaver weights. If I set the 10 initial like you recommended i'll be running 38 total, if i can limit it to about 10-13 and get it all in around 2500 i think it will run good, as for the vac advance, I'll either run without it or hook up the outside one. I'll have to experiment with that.

SubaruGL: If you live in CT I'd be happy to get you the carb kit , I get a break on weber stuff. $359 for the electric choke, $299 manual. plus $15 freight. You'll have to pick it up here. I don't want to ship it.

Ok, I spun the distributor today, 14 degrees all in at 5k!! 12 degrees on inside advance, 7 on outside. I'm gonna have to find some lighter springs or heaver weights. If I set the 10 initial like you recommended i'll be running 38 total, if i can limit it to about 10-13 and get it all in around 2500 i think it will run good, as for the vac advance, I'll either run without it or hook up the outside one. I'll have to experiment with that.

SubaruGL: If you live in CT I'd be happy to get you the carb kit , I get a break on weber stuff. $359 for the electric choke, $299 manual. plus $15 freight. You'll have to pick it up here. I don't want to ship it.

Well thanks I am in Florida but some close friends just moved back up north and have family in Connecticut. If they are planning any trips there for the holidays and I can find the cash I will let you know! Thanks.

I am not sure if any of this is what you are looking for, but this is what I found in my FSM. I swear I have seen a different graph regarding the distributor, but I could not find it. If you need any of these scanned, I could probably do that.

CIMG8335.jpg

CIMG8339.jpg

CIMG8340.jpg

CIMG8342.jpg