Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 99 SUS needs an auto tranny.. what years are the same?

Technically - only another '99 since that's the 8-bolt phase-I EJ25D. But with a few simple modifications any older 4 bolt tranny will work. You might have to swap the TCU as part of the swap and you will have to insure that the tranny going in has the same final drive ratio as the one that came out - or swap the diff to match. Pretty much the 4EAT tranny's are interchangeable if you remember to swap the diff to match.

GD

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANSMISSION-AUTO-4WD-SUBARU-LEGACY-BP9-EJ25-SOHC-1999-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a6029ae5fQQitemZ250721447519QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories is this the right one??

by 8 bolt, do you mean where it bolts to the motor?? so the phase 2 ej25 trannys have how many bolt holes? i assumed all outback 2.5l auto trannys would have the same gear ratio. i thought you just had to make sure it has the spin on external tranny filter

i thought you just had to make sure it has the spin on external tranny filter
yeah the change was around 97/98 and at some point (i'm assuming then) the plugs are different in 4EAT's before or after that time. you'll want the later, as you say with the spin on filter but i'm not sure how late you can go?

the 99 sus auto trans should be very very very similar tot the 99 outback trans which has a code number TZ1A2ZJEBA. as mentioned it has more bolt holes than earlier auto trans but that is no big deal. it also has a different wire connector / harness with more speed sensors in the trans. so i do not consider it an easy swap with earlier ej auto trans that had code numbers starting with TZ102Z2xxx.

but you may / should be able to swap in later trans, 00 - 04. they have the same bolt holes and i'm pretty sure the same wire harness / connector. and as long as you stay away from turbos, if they had them in those years, and H6 cars you should be ok.

so look for an outback or legacy 00 - 04, no turbo.

EDIT: in 95 - 99 the last 2 or 3 letters in the code number refer to the model of car the trans goes in so they can vary. but if the first 6 or 7 characters are the same the trans should work. but still double check the final drive ratio.

and then checkout www.opposedforces.com/patrs/ to see if the wire harness and ring & pinion are the same.

Edited by johnceggleston