Ultimate Subaru Message Board

headliner and sunroof

Looking to find a place I can take the 83' sedan to and have a custom fit sunroof installed. The one it came with sucks. Now leaking. Also if you have any ideas about how to trim it out around the headliner would be great. Pulled a headliner from the pp and replaced the old one cutting a new hole that is much closer to the actual size of the sunroof but can not find how to trim it out so there's no sagging. Driving me nuts.:grin:

First off, check and clean out the drip drains for the sunroof the like to clog with crap over the years and so that could be all you need.

if you have a factory sunroof, you would be BEST off by FAR, to source some new seals for it, from a Subaru dealer, i like to call jason at Mike Scharff, he can get you new seals.- thats if you got a factory one.

There is no way you going to a custom shop is gonna work well, and be cost effective. those new seals might cost less than 50 bucks, worth the check, and should be easy to install.

on your own on the headliner.

My "new" Subaru doesn't have a sunroof and I may add one. I worked for a van customizing shops years ago and we used to cut the openings neatly with a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade. We would typically leave about an inch extra all around for the headliner and then it would tuck into the rubber gasket.

As for the headliner, if you are having problems getting it positioned correctly, you might want to try some spray adhesive... Something that is "re-positionable" would likely be best so you can readjust. Also, even if the instructions say to spray both sides and wait to adhere, I would suggest starting with spraying just one side, to cut down on how permanent a bond it makes.

Just my 2 cents... Good luck!

I know her situation and car well, she didnt give all the details :-p

Its not factory, its aftermarket (NO drain holes). Her hubby (Mykeystoy) contacted the original installers (from 1983!) and they couldnt help - they said go to a custom shop.

It needs to be completely replaced, thats why she's looking for a shop in the Puget Sound area that does sunroofs.

As for the headliner, its the thick cardboard with vinyl liner on it. Its not pliable or easy to bend, therefor it doesnt tuck into the surround of the inner seal.

I think that when they find a shop that can replace the unit, they will be able to do something to fix the headliner (hopefully).

Thats it, all they need is some help finding a shop in our area that does custom sunroofs.

Ah well good luck finding a capable shop. When I did work for the van customizing place, I know they popped in a lot of sunroofs. If all else fails maybe searching a place that does conversion vans would be useful. Anyways, good luck getting that leaky roof fixed!

Well that isnt exactly what they said I think.. I do need to call the number they gave me. I am content for now to rely on the gorilla tape to keep me dry even if it looks funny. Pics coming sooner or later though it will be a while b4 we can show anything to really brag about but it has tons of potential.