Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it a good buy or not?

I found a subaru for $600 just wondered if its a good buy or not "1983 gl t-top Brat that runs smokes at first, the Dual Range 4x4 works and the interior is in good shape. The body could use some work (front fenders dented and some rust in floorboards behind front wheels) but the bed is in decent shape. No jump seats. 245k miles. I also have lots of parts $600 "

youre in spokane so it shouldnt be too rusty, but check the undercarriage and make sure its not too rusty under there, but otherwise, yes, sounds like a great deal for a sweet brat. all those problems are cheap and easy to fix cause you have pull and save right by you. i would do it:banana:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to look at it today, this will be my first brat, is there anything in-particular I should watch out for? Will fenders off any of the old gl wagons work as well? Thanks

The fenders from most of them fit, from the body change up to 1982 they had a little bit different grill and the antenna is on the wrong side but with some trimming they fit fine. Look for RUST! The rocker panels and the floors tend to be an issue! A little is okay but if they are missing (like mine were) it's a lot of work and sometimes is not reparable!

-SB

Mechanically there's hardly anything to go wrong (except CV axles, obviously) but really pay attention to rust.

If there's rust around the bottom of the windshield you can count on it that the lower A-pillar is also starting to rot. Because the weather strips get drzy and hard they no longer keep the water out and water accumulates. Pull away the carpet on the driver's side and check the footwell in the A-pillar area.

I found a subaru for $600 just wondered if its a good buy or not "1983 gl t-top Brat that runs smokes at first, the Dual Range 4x4 works and the interior is in good shape. The body could use some work (front fenders dented and some rust in floorboards behind front wheels) but the bed is in decent shape. No jump seats. 245k miles. I also have lots of parts $600 "

Where is the link if you dont want it ill get it. LOL