Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shall I buy a 2004 forester?

Hey everyone, Since My kid rolled my 83GL a few years ago. I've been away. It is time to get a new car and I'm looking at a plain white forester with 80K for about $6900. I read about the head gasket issues on earlier years and it has me worried. Any pros or cons on the 2004's that you can share? SC

I can't comment on the pricing. But 2004 is past the external head gasket leak situation, which I believe was from 1999 to 2002. It's also before the switch to bi-position valve timing which occured in 2005. There are absolutely no guarantees, but all things being equal, it should have an excellent chance of being a good engine. Although the 2.5L doesn't have near the same reputation as the uber reliable 2.2L.

I second GD's comments. But to be clear, the head gasket problem definitely was not solved in '02. You might want to lay yourself on top of the engine and look down the driver side of the engine at the head gasket with a good flashlight. You might see a dark oil seep. You can use that to bargain for a lower price. Also repeat looking up from the bottom.