Ultimate Subaru Message Board

solenoid c replacement question

I pulled the rear housing and changed out the solenoid and gasket.

Put it back together and can't seem to get the drive shaft to slide on the output shaft.

Don't think I messed anything up in the repair and seems strange that I can't get the shaft to slide on.

Everything looks centered and it came off pretty easy. I can get it to move on more with light taps from a hammer, but then I have to tap it back off also.

Don't want to damage anything, thinking I may have to pull the back again to check stuff.

What do you guys think?

97 impreza outback sport 2.2 auto

Hush

check the shaft and make sure it's not set up to only go on one-way. i didn't think they were but i haven't pulled a ton of EJ shafts...or more correctly I haven't reinstalled very many. Anyway - sometimes shafts will have a groove or such so that it can only install in one orientation, check for that.

Splines/shaft isn't rusted right?

i can't think of anything else then. surprised no one has commented yet.

maybe change the title to something about the driveshaft......i saw it but didn't read it the first day you posted because it seemed like one of the other 1,000 duty C threads by the title and i figured others would get to it.

as far as i remember that rear driveshaft should slide on. its been a while and i have only done the manuals. but that shouldnt matter. anyways that should be a smooth slide onto the rear ouput shaft. i have no idea what could do this. possible it was off too long and started to rust?

Shaft was only out for a day so rust isn't the issue, but just in case I ran some emery cloth on it to eliminate any rough spots, still non sliding on smoothly.

Once it starts to slide on I would think that alignment is proper so I don't think that is the issue either.

Hush

Another quick part here.

With the engine out and battery out, no power to anything. And no fluid in the trans, should I be able to turn the rear drive shaft? It will turn about 5 degrees each way then stops.

Just wondering it I goofed up on something on the inside and that is causing things to be slightly out of alignment and the front of the drive shaft is hitting the housing on the trans.

Hush

should I be able to turn the rear drive shaft? It will turn about 5 degrees each way then stops.

if the rear wheels are in the air and the hand brake is OFF, it should turn freely. no fluid pressure , no rear wheel engagement.

i was wondering if the drive shaft was catching on the rear shaft seal?? maybe something in the seal moved, failed.

measure how far the shaft will go in, and see if it is the same depth as the shaft seal.