Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25 swap now can't fill gas tank?? :confused:

Hey everyone, I have a 04 wagon, and just finished a complete EJ25 longblock Swap, after driving 200 miles went to fill gas, but the pump keeps shutting Off, tried a diffferent pump thinking somethings wrong still the same, It's always fill up at this station and has never had a problem before. I tried different positions with the nozzle pulling it out, turning it, trying to fill slower but still only lets me put in about 1/2 gal before clicking it off?? I had removed all the fuel line from the intake and simply hooked back up and the car started very first try after reinstallation. When I open the gas cap I smell a strong fuel smell, alot more than normal..Did I get air in the line is there a way to bleed it out? Car seems to run fine, no CEL, plenty of power no problems with filling gas or related issues before completing swap. Any help would be helpful.

Sounds like airlock. The tank vents through the evap system when filling. I'm not sure where the evap hoses are routed on that model year. But some cars had the evap charcoal canister at the front of the car hidden behind under the hood somewhere. Might have accidentally crimped one of those hoses during removal/installation of the engine.

My other thought would be something down in the filler pipe, or the filler pipe got crushed somehow.

yes u are right on both problems on the evap under the car loot for a lone that vents into the body this is gowing to sound strainge but pull the line out and check for spiderwebes in the end i have found this on maney subaru's also there is a second line in the filler tube that also vents the tube may have come off the neck make shure all evp lines are hooked up on the intake one pinched line will cause problems :eek: if all are ok let us know i will look up diag prochegers:banana:

I had the same problem. In my case, I drive very fast over bad roads and what happened is the charcoal canister broke internally causing charcoal to plug the vent line from the tank. pulled off the vent line, got all the charcoal out of it and replaced the canister. all good. btw, mine broke 2 times, 3 in total between my 2 Subarus. that was the only failure my cars had and I am a bit abusive. love my subaru.

Thanks for the reply's how ever went to fill up again and noproblem filled right up..I love those kinds of fix jobs, do nothing and it fix's itself..all too often thats not the case though.

I will say without this forums and knowledge of the people on here I would not have swapped my motor, fixed my P0519 or p0420, codes and have working switch lights for my fog lights, cruise, windhsield defroster adn seat heaters, all from reading this site, Thanks everyone for your contributions.