Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question! in a way

This might be the wrong area, but seems at least half correct. I have a mystery transmission in a 87 gl, I say mystery because when I put it in 4 wheel drive I get some major binding as one would expect with different gear ratios. I think the motor came from a wrecking yard, when I was fixing the linkage on the shifter ( when I had hope ) I couldn't find any sort of identifying marks on the transmission. The wagon itself is beyond help with rust. I stumbled upon a 92 loyale on craigslist that doesn't seem as bad, would it be accepting of mystery transmission?

Just drain the tranny fluid and check the number of ring gear teeth with a flashlight through the drain plug hole.

In any case you can always swap the rear end to a matching one if the tranny doesn't match the Loyale. I've had to do that several times to use a good working tranny in the car I needed it to mate with.

GD

Well lets make sure.

Take chaulk or tape etc. Run the mark on all four tires 90 degrees from the ground (Across the sidewall) to the ground. Using one tire as a reference travel (push is better, more control and no bind) the car so that one tire makes three full revolutions. Have a friend let you know when the tire has done this. Now look at all four tires. They should all end up where they started. If they do not you have one tire more worn then the others.