Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i noticed that this light does not go out immediately when starting the engine. it does not blink, just steady for maybe two seconds or so, then goes out, everything's fine. never comes on when driving. car seems to be OK on the road. i saw a thread on pulling codes with some specific steps and i may try that on the weekend. also saw several threads on 16 blinks, but this is definitely not that. no torque bind that i can tell.

only thing that concerns me is that i changed the oil the other day and drained some nice, dark stuff so who knows what the other fluids look like. is the transmission fluid easy to change (as easy as the oil on an '01 OBW)? thanks!

It's normal for the light to stay on for a second or two. And yes, the trans fluid is just as easy to change. On the driver side of the trans pan is a 17mm drain plug, just like the motor. I don't know what year you have, but there may be a filter on the side too. Change that out if there is. If you let it drain as much as you can you'll need to add about 5qts. Start at like 4.5qts, run it and check the level, add accordingly.

It's normal for the light to stay on for a second or two. And yes, the trans fluid is just as easy to change. On the driver side of the trans pan is a 17mm drain plug, just like the motor. I don't know what year you have, but there may be a filter on the side too. Change that out if there is. If you let it drain as much as you can you'll need to add about 5qts. Start at like 4.5qts, run it and check the level, add accordingly.

The trany dip stick from low mark to full mark is only about a pint, so pour just a little ATF at a time. Otherwise, it is really easy to over fill the transmission.