Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator Problem.........

I think i know the problem anyways but i figured id ask since ihavent really been on here in months.

While driveing last night i noticed the higher the rpms got the brighter all the lights got. When the rpms went down as i shifted they dimmed. Pretty sure that would be the voltage regulator in the alternator right.

88DL Fuel Injected

sounds like my GL way back... ya... I used the proper gear to keep the voltmeter around 14V... though I dont think a DL has a voltmeter does it??

My $$ is on the alternator. Either get a good used one off a friend here or if you go to a parts store spring for the lifetime warranty... Autozone hated me.... I think I got a new one every 6 months or so.

Being in your area, Ben, I would think the GM alt swap would be easier.

Mostly because I'm sure there are a lot more domestics than imports in the area.

And it's really easy to fab up a custom bracket for the large case alts.

And as for the problem, it sounds to me the contacts and the like are going away, as was already mentioned by Tom.

Twitch

through out my 5 subarus and 3 2000watt+ stereo systems i know the symptoms of a bad regulator and yea if your over 14.7 or so your heating things up. my volt meter in the cluster would jump all they way up then level out randomly at first. i waited for money to come in to buy an upgrade then the vm needle would rise and fall with the rpms. my stereo 'deck' harness would get HOT and things would cut out like lights and speaker sound :lol: