Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I tow a Subaru on a tow dolly? I need to move one. The car is a 96 Outback auto trans. But if I had looked it up first I may have found out my answer, do reply if you have any further info, maybe I should unhook the rear driveshaft to be safe.

Edited by newroo
found some answer!

With an a/t, you can do it by placing a fuse in the socket under the hood, disengaging the rear-drive clutches. you can do this for a short distance, but in any case all 4 wheels up is the best way. You can go 4 wheels down with a manual transmission with a tow bar.

I have seen a 5mt awd towed 2 up on a tow truck, and the awd still worked. Either this car had an open diff, or the vlsd was burned out. This was a 93 legacy

in your case removing the driveshaft is recommended for a tow dolly.

With an a/t, you can do it by placing a fuse in the socket under the hood, disengaging the rear-drive clutches.

no no no .

that only works if the engine is running.

the damage caused by towing with 2 up and 2 down is you burn up a bearing in the rear of the trans. there is no lubrication unless the trans oil pump is moving the fluid. it is not like a manual trans where all of the moving parts a bathed in the gear oil.

With an a/t, you can do it by placing a fuse in the socket under the hood, disengaging the rear-drive clutches. you can do this for a short distance, but in any case all 4 wheels up is the best way. You can go 4 wheels down with a manual transmission with a tow bar.

I have seen a 5mt awd towed 2 up on a tow truck, and the awd still worked. Either this car had an open diff, or the vlsd was burned out. This was a 93 legacy

in your case removing the driveshaft is recommended for a tow dolly.

Er um, no. The only time the fuse works is when the car is on. Also there are still spinning parts in the tail shaft of the transmission, where if the tow is long enough can cause the fluid to get hot.