Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally TMIC my RX

Well, FINALLY got a-round-to-it. I learned some new games along the way, 'find the weakest clamp holding your duct', 'find the leak', (actually two separate games) and 'what is turbo barking'. But, it is 98% happy right now and I'm glad a few of you have indulged me. :)

post-27810-136027645082_thumb.jpg

post-27810-136027645086_thumb.jpg

yes, it's an ej2o5 cooler, I have a scoop, I used turn buckles to make an adjustable 3 point support - that turned out to be very useful leveling it left to right. The front has to tip down for the re-circ valve to clear the hood structure too.

It's Monstaru's fault, I blame GD too, for putting bad ideas in my head. :lol:

sweet, my tmic is in the mail and I plan on the install hopefully before snow fall, because Idaho gets pretty cold during the winter, outside under teh harsh elements of mother nature.

Sounds like it was easy to install with them turn buckles, I might have to try that out, I been thinking how to mount it, but its hard when I dont have the tmic yet to look at....

more pictures of the mounting would be sweet if you got extra time.....

-Nomad

funny you should mention that, I took some pics of the mounting with my phone, but now the phone usb port isn't talking to the computer and I can't transfer them, I'll add them if I am able :mad:

You could try to transfer the photos via bluetooth if you phone and computer have that technology, I must do it this way because I have no cord.....

yeah post if posssible! THANKS!!!

-nomad

The elbow going into the throttle body has a 5/8" T fitting on it that appears to be open.... is that plugged somehow? Any leak in the intake tract would be bad for air metering.....

Looks good. I like your creative use of copper pipe fittings. Home Depot FTW :lol:.

GD

:lol: McCoys plumbing... took the owner out in the lot and showed him the problem, he went to the bin and pulled those out... the hose is walking into the back of O'Reilly's and finding any radiator hose the right diameter...

btw, finally figured out how to cut those a little better, I slid a clamp over the hose and used it as a guide for a straight cut, but the clamp also keeps the hose from collapsing while you are cutting it

The elbow in question is off an ej22 intake, the flex boot is from the pile o parts from Monstaru, ej205. The 205 boot is upside down, the 22 elbow was cut off the n/a intake and sleeved over the exisiting ea intake hose. Silicone tape was added to gasket the connections under the clamps.

The open fittings you see are not ported to the elbow, but rather just a supported T. The re-circ was connected after the pic was taken to a port on the manifold and is currently just venting overboard. Interestingly, it SOUNDS like the wategate isn't dumping now, and I can hear the turbo spooling down. I don't think thats bad, its just venting from the other side now. It all seems to be happy, but at a higher level, there may be a small leak in the ghetto duct work. It idles fine and seems pretty smooth through the rpm with a minor stumble that its always had at part throttle, usually on the way down.

still fighting the phone usb port, the weakest link on any phone

Very nice looking setup.

You can send the pics via text to an email account. Try texting it to your email account. I can PM you mine so you can try and I'll get the pics up.

the issue is they are stuck in my phone, no bluetooth, usb port is failing :mad:

I'll see if I can borrow a real camera...

OK, turnbuckles (like the kind you use for gates tensioning) were 1/4 20 thread, so I got 1/4 20 cap screws, large area washers, lock washers and nuts for locking the screws. I spun out the original eyelet end, stacked washer sandwiches on the new screws and went through the original bushed mounts on the ic flange.

I drilled a hole in the tire shelf to slip the reverse threaded hooked end around, and one in the clutch cable bracket. That front rod was some all thread double nutted and connected to a small shelf 90 bracket through an existing mount hole on the ic face, (the holes for those metal lines we don't use).

It lets the IC move slightly under vibration, and it's adjustable height was really nice for dialing it in to sit well. The cost was very little. You have to radius the corner of the tire shelf, so it clears the ic y pipe underneath, on the passenger side. Just trim the corner and smooth it out, I went with a 1" radius.

post-27810-136027645098_thumb.jpg

post-27810-136027645106_thumb.jpg