Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought this legacy L from a guy said it needed a new coil i checked to see if i got spark it does! changed the plugs they were bad.. wires changed old ones were bad.. fuel filter was horriable..

Now It starts to turn over better after that IDK why.. but it still won't fire up but every so often i will get a back fire through the intake.. we checked the timing on the gears timing looks great! so im lost..

could it be a Crankshaft Positioning Sensor?!? cause that damn thing cost a lot of money..

Anyone know?!?

if you have bad gas in the tank you could syphon. or you could disconnect the fuel line and bridge the fuel pump relay to keep it pumping without turning the car over. let the pump push the fuel out

Bridging the fuel pump relay is a great idea to pump out old gas. Just don't let the pump run more then 10-20 seconds when the tank is empty. Fuel is used to cool the pump when in operation. You don't want to chance ruining the fuel pump.

Normally, the only time these ever backfire through the intake is when the timing is off. I'd double check that belt. Also, on a 94, it may still have the two drains on either side of the gas tank. Look on the bottom of the tank. First thing you should always do with a no start is check for codes. It's quick and easy, let the car tell you what's wrong if it knows. Always do that before throwing parts at it.

I tried to do a Code Read but nothing fun happened... I got under the dash and both green connectors (left) and Black connectors (right) were plugged in color to color i tried to do the green to black connectors and the CEL just kept blinking am i doing something wrong??

I tried to do a Code Read but nothing fun happened... I got under the dash and both green connectors (left) and Black connectors (right) were plugged in color to color i tried to do the green to black connectors and the CEL just kept blinking am i doing something wrong??

you do not want the green or the black diagnostic connectors connected when driving. unplug them.

they aren't connected i replaced the Crank Angle Sensor and the firing order got better.. BUT... the plugs were soaked with gas... i cleaned them up and letting them dry i think i might have a slightly bad gas.. Tomorrow im gunna try to start it with Starting fluid

Yup all is perfect tried to use starting fluid and it just backfired out of the intake and caught fire LOL... so idk what to do..

these cars do not back fire when the timing is right. the intake valves are closed before the fuel and spark are combined.

tell us how you checked the timing. what timing marks did you use?