Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 loyale won't go into overdrive

I recently purchased a 1991 Subaru Loyale, automatic, 4WD, 4-door sedan. It has 96,000 miles and runs well. The only major problem is that it won't go into overdrive. It runs at 3000RPMs once I hit around 45 MPH. Is there anything I can check that may be a quick, and semi-inexpensive fix, rather than jumping to a new transmission. I have heard of an overdrive button. What/where is this? What does it do? And can it cause my subie to not go into overdrive? Any suggestions, PLEASE HELP!!

I have been doing some more research. Does this vehicle 91 subaru loyale automatic 4wd have an overdrive? Or is it only a 3 speed? I do have the VIN number if that helps to determine the type of transmission.

Thanks

Edited by subielynn
further question

There is no "overdrive" function. It sounds like your transmission is not shifting into 3rd (high) gear, and the usual cause is a problem with the governor. Either the valve is sticky or the drive gear is worn. Check out this repair article:

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/USRM/Transmission/Governor/ATgovenorclean.htm

Other common issues involve dirty/burnt/low ATF, and failed vacuum modulator. These are less likely to cause your problem.

its common for these cars to have a 3500-4000 rpm cruising at 65-75 mph.

usually you get them with itty bitty 165 tires where the 4wd manuals had 175 or 185 tires. also most of these had a 3.900 gear. some of the 85/87/87 had a 3.70 gear, mainly turbos.

13's are harder to find these days, but i would go with some 185/70 tires if you canfind them.

Yeah, that's normal RPM's

Remember, the speed limit was 55 everywhere in the US when these cars were introduced (1985)

The thing is that these engines will run happily at 4k rpms all day. And as long as you keep a light, steady throttle foot they still get good mileage.

Just don't expect to be doing 90mph down the highway all the time, they don't like that. 55-70 ( 3200-4500rpm) is where they are happy.

Edited by Gloyale

Sounds like there's no problem with it to me. You are not in 2nd if it's running at 3k at 45 MPH. And these don't have locking torque converters or a 4th gears so...... sounds like it's just fine.

Take care of it and flush the tranny every 30k miles. It will help it live longer.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Thank you everybody for your replies!! I counted the gears today and it is definitely getting into 3rd. I have never owned a vehicle with only 3 gears, totally weird. I feel much better driving around, knowing there is nothing mechanically wrong with the car, haha.

Thanks again,

subielynn