Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatchback Tail Light Gaskets

I did a cursory search and didn't turn up anything of value. If this is covered I do apologize.

I recently stripped my hatch for the paintshop. I discovered that the tail light gaskets are very dry rotted and pretty much disintegrated in my hand. I have a pretty good idea this is going to be a "make it myself" type replacement part, which begs the question:

What are you guys cutting your gaskets from for this type of thing, and where would I find it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

I tried to make my own gaskets once for my coupe. They leaked like crazy. What really sealed it up was using dum dum (http://www.amazon.com/3M-Automotive-MMM8578-Strip-Black/dp/B000PEZ1L4) made by 3m. I just mushed together my own gasket and pressed the lights back on. No leaks yet and its been like that for almost a year. A good amount of new cars use this method of sealing tail lights.

I agree - use the adhesive goo (butyl rubber if I'm not mistaken) - that's what Subaru uses on the Legacy's and up. Makes them a BASTARD to remove but seals real nice. This stuff (which is a continuous roll unlike the strips that Hatsub listed above):

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=butyl+rubber+glass&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&prmd=ivs&resnum=3&biw=1736&bih=775&wrapid=tlif12898383797921&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14561228223044447659&ei=WF_hTLbvGYOWsgP3s9m3Cg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CG8Q8wIwBQ#

Which I've even used to seal "glue-in" windsheilds..... it's GOOD stuff.

BTW - Butyl Rubber is used in the manufacture of chewing gum..... so you are quite literally sticking your lights on with gum. :lol:

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder