Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine starting difficulties

My 2000 Outback has recently been acting like it has a bad battery (or bad leads). Sometimes I turn the key and just get a click, sometimes I get a couple of slow engine turns, sometimes it starts up just fine. I have checked the battery and leads and they seem fine. If I get a click, and try several more times, the car will eventually start. It will sometimes run for days/weeks with no trouble, but I think it's slowly getting worse. I took it in for service recently, but they could find nothing wrong (I'm guessing it was starting just fine that day). I'm looking for ideas as to what might be wrong. Thanks in advance.

Contacts are the first thing I'd do because they're easy. Also clean all the connections to the starter. Ground and positive on the battery, the positive lead on the starter, and the grounds to the engine, and the power to the solenoid. Bad connection in any of those could cause starting issues.

Another problem that I've seen crop up here, and I've had on my GL is the ignition switch. If the contacts in the switch itself are wearing out it can cause a low voltage to the solenoid, enough for it to click, but not enough for it to connect the circuit to start the engine. I just put in a different ignition switch I had laying around. The other option is to add a relay to give power right from the battery to the solenoid.