Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve job and new timing components now no start

I just finished buttoning up the engine on my 99 OBW EJ25D. The engine got new seals, a valve job, head gaskets, and new idlers and timing belt. I have done the timing and re-seal on an EJ-22 before and have worked on DOHC toyotas before. I installed the timing belt per FSM (notch on the crank gear matched to the notch on the crank sensor, intake cams single notch up, exhaust cams double notch matching up with the double notch on the intake cams.

Everything went back together fine with the exception of missing one small coolant hose under the intake mani. After correcting that, I spun the engine over with the crank sensor unplugged to prime the oil pump, then tried to crank. It dosen't sputter or even pretend to try and start.

I checked the fuel line, and it is presureized, I checked for spark with an inline tester and have spark, I checked one injector with a noid light and it is fireing. I checked all the connectors again. I then pulled the timning covers back off and verified that the belt is on correctly (it is).

The only thing I can think of is that the cam sensor stayed on the head when it went to the machine shop. Would a dead cam sensor still allow the coil pack to fire and the injectors to receive a signal.

Any ideas guys? Is there some little connection somewhere that's easy to miss?

Thanks for any help!!

Anthony

First question - did you accidentally get the fuel lines on backwards? I always leave one hose on the intake, the other on the filter, to make sure I get the 2 big hoses back on correctly.

Do you have fuel?

When you crank and crank do you smell any gas?

This happened to me when I did my timing belt. My stupid rump roast didn't plug the camshaft position sensor back in. Are you sure yours is plugged in, or for that matter, working?

Also, it threw a code for the crank sensor circuit too. I couldn't tell until later since the CEL was on because it wasn't running. You might want to get a code puller and see if it's on about something.

First question - did you accidentally get the fuel lines on backwards? I always leave one hose on the intake, the other on the filter, to make sure I get the 2 big hoses back on correctly.

Do you have fuel?

When you crank and crank do you smell any gas?

I think you nailed it! I checked this morning and I have the fuel line switched. I even labled them and still switched it. After work I will fix it and cross my fingers!

Thanks!!

dave, this is very smart. how many times did you mess it up before you thought of this trick???

now if i can just remember it.

John,

I've NEVER crossed the fuel lines. I've always done things like this. Partly because I seem to have a bad memory. Partly because I'm used to getting interrupted with car projects. Infact I've had the engine out of my 71 VW bus that has my lift tied up for over a year.

Long ago I learned to take pics as I disconnect, tear down, etc. When digital cameras became affordable that has helped a great deal.

Throw in a paint stick, I use nail polish to mark timing marks, and you're pretty much set.

When doing a project that may get interrupted I'm one of those guys that bags and tags (writed with permanent marker) on ziploc bags bolts and such.

Realizing that I often don't remember is why I do things like this. It also has the benefit of improving my odds of not shooting myself in the foot on simple stuff.

Skip here helped me do my first Subaru engine R&R. He encouraged me to do it when I had no experience with Subaru's. I think I drove him a bit nuts with wanting to take pics, etc my first 2 times. Haven't needed to with a Suby since. But it definately helps improve my level of confidence and helps stop little things from being a diagnostic problem later.

Dave nailed it. I switched the fuel hoses to the correct place and she started right up. A few weird noises for a minute or two then everything smoothed out and ran great. I had also missed the temp gauge wire, so after putting that back on, I ran it up to temerature, put the hood back on, and took a ride. It's nice to have a car back that I don't have to hold into 5th gear to keep it from popping out (my old MR2 I've been commutting in 80 miles a day)

Now this weekend the OBW gets new struts on all four corners. Wish me luck!!

Thanks Guys!!

Anthony