Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy 4EAT no reverse when warm

and slips something nasty when cold. I replaced the reverse clutches, and swapped out the Duty B with one from Pick and Pull, to no good effect. Swapping out the clutches with new ones helped a bit, when cold, but nothing when the tranny is warm. I want this tranny to work, not a swap out with an unknown one from the yard. . . Anyone here good with the internals of the 4EAT?

• 1 month later...
Add some trans-x, the valve body is probably gummed up a bit.

Changing the ATF three times get rid of all the old fluid may help, as each plug drain only drains about half the ATF from the system. Then drive around some between changes. Then, add the Trans-X at time of third and final ATF change.

Hmmmmmmmmm....guess also that Trans-X could be added before ATF changes to clean out gummed valve body. Just drain out a pint of ATF before adding Trans-X.

i had a 95 that did this. i drove it for about 6 months like that. you learn to park smart. mine would actually catch in reverse occasionally but i could never count on it.

it is only a matter of time before it affects a forward gear. start looking for a used trans, or wrecked car with a good trans or a good car with a bad engine.

http://www.car-part.com sort your search by distance, shipping is expensive.

good luck,