Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water Pump/Fan nut size?

recently picked up a 1993 loyale...im currently replacing a leaky water pump but the previous owner did not include the nuts i need to bolt the fan onto the water pump, if anyone knows what size nuts i would need to pick up from a local hardware store it would make my day...

-Also im not 100% sure this is the correct place to post this...if not please move it, thank you

6mm x 1.0. The factory nuts are "whiz-nuts" with a built in locking flange.

Or you can just leave the fan off - non-AC models didn't have one so unless you will be useing the AC (many don't work so people just pull them off) then you don't need the compressor fan.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Leaving off the Clutch Fan!? I'm sorry, but what is going to pull air through the Radiator with out the Clutch fan? Every vehicle needs a cooling fan, whether it being a Clutch fan that runs off the waterpump, or a electric fan which kicks in when needed.

Since the EA82 has cooling issues as is, pulling a fan off it will not be a good idea, At least in my mind.

Also, you are going to need to bolt the pulley back on anyhow, as you still need to run the V-belt for P/S and Alt. So why not just bolt the fan back onto the pump in the first place.

-Tom

Edited by TheLoyale

I thought all EA82s had both Electric and Clutch fans regardless of A/C or Non-A/C?

Is the electric fan on a EA82 with A/C a secondary cooling fan, Or is it only for when the A/C is on and the extra load is on the engine?

^EA82s without A/C have the electric fan. he didn't say remove both of them. just the clutch fan.

reason? convenience mostly. That thing is a PITA to work around. and if the clutch isn't working perfectly, some hp and mpg

my clutch fan locked up, and I was getting 18mpg at full locked fan clutch and sounded like a giant hoover driving down the street, so I ripped it off, the factory electric sucked so I did this

IMAG0265.jpg

they are Hayden 10" E-fans from O'Reilly auto parts, they don't fit with a condenser, I have 1 key on, with optional kill switch (winter), and the other is thermostatically controlled.:)

I thought all EA82s had both Electric and Clutch fans regardless of A/C or Non-A/C?

Is the electric fan on a EA82 with A/C a secondary cooling fan, Or is it only for when the A/C is on and the extra load is on the engine?

The clutch fan is ONLY on AC equipped cars. The electric fan is ALWAYS the primary and is thermostatically controled. If you don't have/use AC, and your cooling system is working properly.... you don't need the clutch fan.

Those who need more cooling can source an EA81 AC fan - they are electric and will fit where the clutch fan was located.

GD