Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(still) Looking for a rebuilt Subaru Engine

I am still looking for an engine for my 1999 Subaru Forester. I was told to check into getting an EJ22 (2.2 liter) from a slightly older Subaru. I found one online, 2.5L Vin 6 2003 03 low miles 61k, but it said

EJ22E

SINGLE EXHAUST PORT

SOHC 16 VALVE

EGR PORT ON LEFT HEAD

WORKS IN THE :

1995-1997 SUBARU LEGACY

1995-1997 SUBARU IMPREZA

So I wasn't sure it would work in the Forester.

Anyone care to comment? I am really over my head here.

Thanks, Harmony Sue

You need to verify whether or not yours has an EGR valve...that will make the difference. Also in 99 I do believe some of the wire harness connectors (BUS) changed a bit (someone correct me if I am wrong on this.)

I would try to find an EJ22 in the 99-2003 range which is in the gen model year for yours.

What is wrong with the 2.5 is it toast or is it just the heads?

I am still looking for an engine for my 1999 Subaru Forester. I was told to check into getting an EJ22 (2.2 liter) from a slightly older Subaru. I found one online, 2.5L Vin 6 2003 03 low miles 61k, but it said

EJ22E

SINGLE EXHAUST PORT

SOHC 16 VALVE

EGR PORT ON LEFT HEAD

WORKS IN THE :

1995-1997 SUBARU LEGACY

1995-1997 SUBARU IMPREZA

So I wasn't sure it would work in the Forester.

Anyone care to comment? I am really over my head here.

Thanks, Harmony Sue

Do not swap that engine for your phase 2 2.5 SOHC engine. What is wrong with your engine?

Like he said, is the engine repairable, that's usually a better option if it is.

the info listed on that motor you posted is wrong so we can't tell you anything about incorrect information....except that you should assume it's not the right motor until it's verified.

http://www.car-parts.com will give you all the EJ22's (just look for a 2000 Impreza 2.2 liter) or EJ25's in your area. You can sort by distance from your zipcode.

I too would lean towards an EJ22 but wouldn't make any decisions until i saw prices/mileage/warranty/etc. I prefer the EJ22's better reliability and you can often get them cheaper though there aren't many of these newer ones out there. The EJ25 is a bit easier swap, better resale, and more power though, so perfectly good reasons either way.