Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 Soob GL Turbo 4wd Sedan

I bought my first soob recently and had some questions. First of all, it's an automatic with the 4wd button on the shift lever. How am I to engage and disengage the 4wd on this particular vehicle. I've been messing with it but I don't want to be doing anything that may be detrimental to the drive train... Secondly, it has the ride height adjust on it but it seems the struts have been replaced with an aftermarket non-lifting strut. Can the original struts be purchased anymore and if so where is a good place to look? I'd really like to take it back to factory condition. Car is in great shape with p/w, p/ sunroof, cruise, a/c, tilt wheel, etc. Interior is clean with little to no damage. Really nice car altogether, just needed tuned up and some TLC. Any help would be appreciated.

It's fairly common for the adjustable height cars to have the struts replaced with standard ones, I purchased my car in the same condition. Not sure if those original struts are still available, but if they are they will probably cost you a pretty penny. I would also recommend getting an intercooler setup for your car as the turbo cars are problematic. It's only a matter of time before you blow a head gasket, in my opinion (and experience), the intercooler should help prevent or delay that from happening.

The car is FWD based, and then kicks in the 4wd to the rear. sumply leaving the 4wd button off will leave it in 2wd. The car needs battery to engage/disengage

if you are towing, you can tow 2 up with it in 2wd and be ok. Otherwise, you can remove the rear half of the driveshaft, and still drive around as 2wd.

the pneumatic struts are no longer available. Regular struts are a direct replacement, and is just fine

The struts very likely *are* availible - dealer only parts and you will not like the price. Likely several times more than you paid for the car.

That is the Subaru equivelent of a "glass jaw" engine. It is imperitive that you KEEP IT COOL. They will not stand overheating. The best advice I can give you is to go to the DEALER and have them order EVERY SINGLE coolant hose on the car. Some are not easy to get to. They need to be replaced - it will not be fun but you need to do it.

GD

if you are towing, you can tow 2 up with it in 2wd and be ok. Otherwise, you can remove the rear half of the driveshaft, and still drive around as 2wd.

No.

Not with an Automatic. The transfer hub/clutch assembly would still be turning, dragging the plates inside past eachother with no ATF circulating in the system.

Do not dolly tow Automatic subaru's

Manauls it's technically O.K., but if the 4wd shift lever should slip even a little.......BAM! and the whole rig tries to drive off the dolly.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so after a much needed $200 tune-up including plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, a shot of Lucas fuel injector cleaner, and a new A/C belt(which I think all of it was factory...ugh), I'm still having some small issues. It seems to be sluggish on take off and don't really respond til around 1500 RPM's. After that it seems to have moe power but I think it could do better. Could it be not enough fuel pressure for the injectors or a tired fuel pump? I'm going to replace the Distributor cap and rotor to see if that helps too since I think it's original also. One more thing....I'm looking for a rear passenger door wing window. Mine is broken out. Anybody have one they could part with?

It seems to be sluggish on take off and don't really respond til around 1500 RPM's. After that it seems to have moe power but I think it could do better.

You are aware of the phenomenon called boost lag, right? A low compression engine will be sluggish until the boost pressure kicks in.

As for thinking it could do better, it's a 115hp engine, with the turbo. The auto transmission also sucks a lot of power on it's own.