Ultimate Subaru Message Board

distributor replaced?

When I go to the parts store to order a new distributor cap, and give them the car specs, they come up with the wrong cap. The correct cap they have listed for a 2 wheel drive but I have a 1985 Subaru GL 1800 non-turbo, 4 wheel drive. Could the distributor have been replaced at one point?

thanks

Dirk

Thanks for the replies

it has a Nippon coil, not sure about the distributor. The engine family is FFJ1.8T2HCPO

I have been to two parts houses, Napa and Auto Zone and I encountered the same problem in both places. At Auto Zone (and I know some of you are cringing when I mention a discount auto parts store) the ask for the VIN and whether it is a 4 or 5 and mine is a 5.

I am assuming this is 4 wheel drive because you can put it into 4 wheel drive, and I am assuming the FWD on the selector means Front Wheel Drive rather than Four Wheel Drive which is designated on the selector as 4wheel drive HI and 4 wheel drive LO. And the original owners packet says 4WD.

Yes - it is 4WD.

It doesn't really matter which distributor you have - I have an '86 4WD with a nippon distributor and coil - Subaru changed that stuff around frequently and on the EA82's (such as your's). There is not hard and fast rule about distributor brand and it's relation to 2WD/4WD on these.

It is very likely their parts listings are wrong or incomplete. If you really want to know then take the VIN down to the dealership and find out from the source. Napa and Autozone are not authorities on the subject of Subaru's or the proclivities of their engineers (which can be strange at times).

GD

Walk into an Autozone/Napa/CSK-O'Reilly's/etc and ask for a part for an 85 Subaru and it is a crap-shoot as to whether they give you a part for an EA81-era car or an EA82-era car. Both car-series were available (*Edit: overlapped -endedit*) from 85 until (87? 88?), and part stores' listings don't make a good distinction. In general, their listings are unreliable.

A lot of us will tell discounters that we have an 83 or 84 if we have an EA81, or an 89 or 90 if we have an EA82. EA82s from 85 and 86 might be more difficult with some parts, especially distributor stuff.

Do as GD suggests, or at least take your cap to the parts store and compare.

Edited by NorthWet

To clear things up a little, the EA81 and EA82 designations I typed refer to the engines used, and not specifically to the chassis.

The EA81 are the older, pushrod (camshaft in block) engine, which will have its distributor on the front of the engine over near the thermostat housing.

The EA82 is the slightly newer, Single Overhead Camshaft (on each cylinder bank), with plastic-covers over its cambelts on the front of the engine, and the distributor mounted to the back-end of the left (US driver's side) head.

The engine identifier is also cast/stamped into the front-top of the block just to the engine-right of the joint between the 2 case halves. ("EA81" or EA82")