Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 manual trans into EA81 auto car, doable?

Hi all,

I've got a FWD EA81 hatchback that has a bad auto trans. I used to have an automatic wagon and it just didn't do it for me; I really hate to spend the money to fix an auto.

So, between here and a few local junkyards I think I've managed to find just about everything I need to swap the car over to a FWD manual trans....except an EA81 FWD trans.

My question is this:

I do know of several EA82 FWD 5-speed cars being parted out locally, could I use an EA82 trans in this car? If so, would I have to change the hubs or axles?

Thanks in advance for the help. ;)

You wouldnt have to change hubs or axles. A non turbo 2wd 5 speed EA82 trans is exactly the same as a 2wd 5 speed EA81 trans. They didnt change anything about them.

Fantastic! What about the clutch and flywheel; can the EA82 stuff be used?

You've seriously just made my day!

Sweetness.

Just out of curiosity, are the EA81 FWD and EA82 FWD autos the same too?

If so, that would be a dirt cheap swap for me and allow for a little more 5-speed parts gathering time.

If they are both 3 speed than yes i believe that holds true as well. If the EA82 is 4 speed auto then i dont think it will work...but then again i barely ever hear about people keeping the autos so who knows :lol: