Ultimate Subaru Message Board

repsot of my mystery noise

this is a long shot, but... could it be the knock sensor? the reason why I ask this is because about 6 months ago I was driving along when it threw a code and ran like crap! bad plug wire, so then it did it again( I used Napa wires:banghead:) could it have damaged the sensor some how? causing ignition problems ans spark knock?

Well you know then that its not a crticial noise, those never go away and get louder with RPM.

Noises that go away once warmed up are not always bad.

Probably why ya think only driving for 20min then letting it sits makes it go away. Would probably go away if you drove for 35-50 min, which is way to long for any internal engine parts to get warm and expand so it must be external and once its finally get nice and heat soaked, it expaned enough not to rattle.

I have a 97 2.2 with piston slap and it does not sound like that. The slap is throughout the RPM range and quiets down after warming up.

Maybe a bad tensioner pulley? When were the belts last serviced?

I'm still asking about the last service on belts and tensioners. :rolleyes:

What was replaced and when?

Yeah - the whole front of the engine is new and the noise was apparently there before (though it wouldn't do it for me of course) - it is unchanged by the replacement of the complete timing set. So we can rule out all that for certain.

Thus I would think it's either a valve train noise, or something to do with the clutch components - those are the two theories right now. Since it hasn't blown a rod out the top of the engine I would tend to rule that out as well since it's being daily driven. As loud as it is it would have let go by now.

GD

the foot on the clutch thing does seem to make a diff, if it were a rod I'd probably hear it no matter what gear at idle etc, but valves could be a culprit, the clutch is of an unknown brand, I was an amateur before I got on here so I may have had a shady job done.

PS still learning:lol:

So, I was going to take it today to GD to look at but some other crap came up(work). . here are all the symptoms of the problem from start up to restart-

Start the car I do a complete warm up, little piston slap for about 30sec then it goes away.

No tapping sound backing up, now once I take off I hear the tapping, it seems in sync with engine RPM and MPH.

While driving, if I let off the pedal a little it goes away, but when I give it a little gas it comes back in every gear.

It feels a little jumpy taking off in first, second gear is a bit rough getting into gear. Going down the road it feels jerky almost like something isn't grabbing right.(most likely my shot struts, feeling every bump)

After about 20-30min Ill shut it down and wait for about 15min or so then restart it..nothing sound completly goes away(most of the time).

Here are my amateur theory's-

Valves are WAY out of adjustment, possibly hung open. I called the dealer and they said you would hear a valve no matter if you at idle,accelerating,decelerating etc. so that may be ruled out??

Cracked flywheel, and or bad clutch componets, I had the clutch done at TransMedic in Gresham OR, about 2 years ago, they only charged me $475.00 parts and labor with 1 year warranty, sounds pretty low to me now that I am learning more about them. I think its possible they used a real piss poor clutch kit, and forgot to put the pin things on right for the TOB.

I do however have blown struts(have them on order) and I am rebooting the pass side CV, it tore and shot grease in the wheel well. I'm also replacing the ball joint as well, but a CV should not be in harmony with the engine RPM right??

Things that have been done recently-

New T-belt,tensioner idlers,WP reseal the oil pump,new thermostat all by GD.

New coil pack,plug wires,NGK plugs properly gaped. New fuel filter,air filter,PCV valve(probably wasn't bad). Oil changed 500 miles ago Castrol Syntec Blend 5w-30.

Any ideas?? valves, crappy clutch, or is my tranny just doomed.

I read online that "sometimes" bad suspension components can cause alot of strange clicking and tapping.

If it was a rod, or engine bearing I think it would be fairly obvious even in neutral at idle, and GD even listened to the car and didn't hear any knocking- minus the short term piston slap.

I'm blaming cutch componets:lol:

You gotta have some kinda tricks to crack a manual trans flywheel. :lol: I'd rate that around - (negative) 10% chance of being the problem.

Clutch job at a shop for $475. That sounds right for an independent/shadetree mechanic, but a couple hundred low for a full kit and labor at an independent shop. I would suspect they just replaced the disc, and left the pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing alone.

Valve adjustment, no. That engine has hydraulic lash adjusters ( I think) so adjustment is done automatically. Might be a lifter bleeding down, but those are pretty distinct. Lifter noise doesn't just come and go with throttle application. If it's there it will be evident, and when it's gone it will pretty much stay gone unless there is some sort of oil pressure problem.

Yeah, I thought the dealer was wrong with the valve adjustment bit. I called them and gave them the vin since we got the car from my wife's grandparents and the had all the scheduled maintenance done at the dealer, they said they didnt see a record of a valve adjustment. I'm gonna try to get it to GD as soon as I can, since it is in harmony with engine RPM I'm thinking valves.