Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car won't start. Fuel issue?

Right now its 28 degrees out with snow and ice all around. I go to start my car and it will do nothing but crank and crank. I've noticed that it also does this when it is low on gas, or I haven't driven it for a couple days.

I'm thinking it is an issue with my fuel pump, relay, sending unit, or something around there.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or any idea what it may be?

Back-probe the connetor that contains the fuel pump wires and check for power while cranking. Use a DMM or a 12v test light ($5 to $10).

For the injector signal you need a Noid light - which you can easily build with an LED, a resistor, and a couple paper clips (again - $5 to $10 or less). Just google it.

IMO - everyone who is any kind of mechanic should have at least a cheap DMM ($2.99 at Harbor Frieght), a 12v test light (I like the Hella one for $8) and a Noid light in every car along with all the usual tools.

GD

Aside from this being a subaru, how about the other little details?

Engine size,

auto or stick

Mileage

Any recent work done.

Last time the car had a tuneup or any filters changed.

The low fuel thing, next time unscrew the gas cap and see if it starts.

The cold is most likely the enige temp sensor

Aside from this being a subaru, how about the other little details?

Engine size,

auto or stick

Mileage

Any recent work done.

Last time the car had a tuneup or any filters changed.

The low fuel thing, next time unscrew the gas cap and see if it starts.

The cold is most likely the enige temp sensor

It's a first gen Legacy. So its got an EJ22, its auto. 136k on the clock, and no recent work done, because it hasn't needed it. It was serviced regularly at the local Subaru dealership through the original owners (of whom I bought the car from).

Are you letting the car sit for long periods without running it? Todays gas has ethanol in it and the gas breaks down rapidly. Sounds like you are getting bad gas and it has a higher flash point than normal. Once the car actually starts it will keep running and I am sure that after 300 miles you have to gas up again.

Just run the car every other day for about 15 minutes and fill the car when needed and you may fix the problem.

First thing first, a full tuneup, otherwise everything else we guess at is moot.

How is the engine oil. Is it gaining oil? Does it smell like fuel?

How ahve you checked for spark (just curious).

Does it just crank, or crank,fire, then quit.

When it starts is there a puf of black smoke, a rough start, or just fire like normal.

First thing first, a full tuneup, otherwise everything else we guess at is moot.

How is the engine oil. Is it gaining oil? Does it smell like fuel?

How ahve you checked for spark (just curious).

Does it just crank, or crank,fire, then quit.

When it starts is there a puf of black smoke, a rough start, or just fire like normal.

The oil is fine, I did a full synthetic oil change 2k miles prior to this. So it really hasn't had a chance to get that dirty. No it doesn't seem like its gaining oil, always seems to stay at the same level.

After it did start it smelled like fuel, but it eventually went away after it warmed up.

I checked for spark by pulling a plug cap and putting a screwdriver and placing it near the intake manifold. Because I wasn't able to get a plug out due to my lack of tools.

When it started, it started just like normal. No black smoke, no rough idle or running.

and to mdjdc: I do drive this car every day. When this happened I had drove the car at 7pm the previous night, and it wouldn't start at 10am the next morning

I am going with the engine coolant temp sensor. It is relativly cheap so not a big thing to throw a part at. It may be flooding the engine (smell of gas) on cold startup.

But the usual disclaimer, it is not in my driveway (Blu and the Justy would be pissed) so I can not be 100% sure. But do start with a full tuneup first.

I was questioning oil looking for a leaky fuel injector, it doesnt seem you have one.

Next time it does it, just unplug the Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS)

Under the manifold, passenger side, on the crossover pipe......2 wire connector.

Unplugging it will default the car to rich starting and it should fire right up. IF it does, you definately got a Faulty CTS.