Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 loyale wont start

my dad let my gilrfriend drive his loyale for the winter and the other day she was going up a hill and she said it started losing power until it finally died. it still turns over and tries to sputter to life but wont start. my first reaction would be timing belts, but ive heard a fuel filter can cause some of the same issues. any ideas? snow is here and shes driving my 82 and i get her mustang (woohoo)

thanks,

Ryan

I Kindly Suggest to Check the Fuel Lines and Fuel Pump + Filter...

if Everything is OK, Check the Timin' Belts, Check if the Disty's Rotor is Spinning.

If Everything is Allright and you're Sure about That, it could be a Loose Disty Coil's Wire or Maybe the Coil itself went Bad.

Finally: Fusible Links.

There you have my Suggestions... I Hope those can Help.

Kind Regards.

Check the screw in the distributor rotor first then check the timing belt - the passenger side one.

Loyale's are fuel injected and it's very unlikely that it's got anything to do with the fuel system. Since it apparently has spark and tries to fire - coupled with the fact that it died while running..... it's a timing belt or a rotor screw..... or it's out of gas. :rolleyes:

GD