Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 GL won't idle & stalls

Hey fellas, brand new Colorado member here.

Anyhow, I bought an '88 Subaru GL (3 door?) with a 5 speed and the 4wd. This is coincidentally my first Subaru also and it's got one issue with it.

The car starts like a champ, the issue is that I have to keep feathering the gas pedal to keep it running. It will stall immediately after I take my foot off the gas. While I'm driving it, it has kinda the same issue. It cuts out really bad almost like a misfire, then jumps back to normal so on and so forth. I bought the car for $200 and the previous owner took very good mechanical care of it. I'm hoping someone on here has had a similar experience and a solution to this.

All the vacuum lines appear to have been replaced recently. Thats where I started my inspection.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Winter is coming and the Mustang doesn't like snow ;)

- Start the car and grab a can of carb cleaner and spray it directly on all of those vaccum lines where they breach/meet/join anything. If there's a leak in the point where you are spraying, you will notice a significant increase in RPM's. Don't forget that the intake manifold is also a vaccum line. Spray close and direct.

- If that doesn't work, check the temperature sensor. It's located right near the thermostat (my 88gl temp sensor has a light greenish 'pigtail' connector with two wires), if the sensor doesn't have any resistance value, then check the wiring to it, maybe clean up any corrosion.

- Another thing to check is the Idle Air Control valve. It's right in from of the intake. it may just need to be cleaned.

I am no professional but I have had similar issues with my GL and it was a combo of those three things.

Also - If you are getting a Check Engine light, search around here for how to check your codes.

- Another thing to check is the Idle Air Control valve. It's right in from of the intake. it may just need to be cleaned.

quote] Not sure how to clean these.. but I was told to spray Silicone spray into Air control valve.........

The 88 Fuel injection is usually a stable running engine and when not those items above in prior posts should correct it. I miss my 88 Wagon... you should have a great rig once you get it figured. I also put some Seafoam through my car/engine, do a search if not familiar with it.

Edited by Indrid cold

Shoot the plugs actually look kind of old. And they're autolite....I don't know if it matters but I thought these cars needed NGK's or something Japanese.

DEFINITELY gonna run seafoam through this baby. I love that stuff and I'll swear by it.

So, here's my update. I took off the piece just above the throttle body ( the piece that the fuel lines and some vacuum lines connect to) and cleaned the crap out of it. I have no idea what the piece that has that rod and spring in it is called but that thing was sticking a bit. I noticed engine oil in the intake boot??? Whats with that?

Anyhow got 'er all thrown back together but now it won't start. I listened carefully for my fuel pump to prime that piece I took off but heard nothing. Did I need to get some fuel going in that part before I put it back on?

Even more lost now guys...

NGK's are really good plugs but they aren't a necessity - you just need spark, fuel and air. If you aren't getting any of those elements then combustion won't happen.

Double check your work. Did you bump something? Forget to put something back on? I forget to reconnect things almost every time. Have you tried flooring it while cranking? If you do, you should be able to smell fuel. Check Fuses, fusible links (in the little black box, attached to the coolant expansion tank). I am pretty sure that I hear my fuel pump cycle in the key position just before ignition...

Happy to help suggest but GD is definitely one to listen to here. He has saved my rump so many times...

zaniusmaximus7

I hope this picture uploads. Anyway, There seems to be a broken ground of some sort that I'm pointing to with the tip of the screwdriver. What is this and what is the whole part called??

Also, I went and disconnected the fuel lines that go to the TBI??? The upper one squirted fuel, and I'm assuming the lower one isn't a pressurized line because nothing came out. Still wouldn't start....

Blehhhhh

K so in the midst of cleaning stuff, I managed to stick my Q-tip where it doesn't belong (har har har).

The car isn't getting fuel because the little gold part is plugged up. This is the piece that the fuel lines connect to. I have no idea what it's called or how to order it.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h398/zaniusmaximus7/Otherthing.jpg

As far as the broken off wire goes, isn't this just a ground? Can I just butt splice some wire to it and ground it or does it actually go somewhere??

Also, Im extremely happy with you guys and your prompt responses. I appreciate it BIG TIME. Thank you fellas, seriously.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think thats a fuel damper. It is supposed to smooth out pulses during fuel delivery. Do a search here for fuel damper.

I don't know what the wire does, I assume it is for the IAC but maybe someone else that knows can chime in...?

K so in the midst of cleaning stuff, I managed to stick my Q-tip where it doesn't belong (har har har).

The car isn't getting fuel because the little gold part is plugged up. This is the piece that the fuel lines connect to. I have no idea what it's called or how to order it.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h398/zaniusmaximus7/Otherthing.jpg

As far as the broken off wire goes, isn't this just a ground? Can I just butt splice some wire to it and ground it or does it actually go somewhere??

Also, Im extremely happy with you guys and your prompt responses. I appreciate it BIG TIME. Thank you fellas, seriously.

That is the fuel pressure regulator.They don`t normally plug up.Q-tips?

Not sure if that is a ground wire or not.

Yea... you did something, bumped or what ever... You have the SPFI (single point fuel injection) which is very dependable.

sounds like you know mechaniching stuff so sorry to say on this end we have no magic crystal to tell us what is up... do the usual and re-trace what you did.

Keep us posted and no Pics...

I'd just check real quick that it does have spark. Easy to do, goes a long way.

I'd have a tendency to blow compressed air across, not into, the port you think is clogged. Blowing across a hole creates a low pressure area in the cavity, sometimes sucking out any debris.

Blow highly compressed air into it, and you'll probably damage it.

if you clogged the fuel pressure regulator, then that is why there is no fuel. Some hobby tweezers might help with this. Fix the broken wire in the idle air control valve, It is really hard to tell where it goes but if you give me more details on the wire, I can go look at my GL which is an 88 and has spfi

That wire is a piece that is bolted onto the IAC with two bolts located on the mid-left side of the module. It looks like the male end of a connector and I'm missing the female side/entire wire. It's that little black "u" looking piece in the picture. Hmmm, now that I look at it, it could just be a retainer clip.....

K I'm gonna go take a CLOSER closer look.