Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap: fuel pump

KootenayJK

OK, I went out today and plugged in the harness to see if it will start: it fires, but won't run. I connected the check mode connectors, fuel pump relay clicks, and I get voltage on the BK/R wire. I connected the BK/R wire to the BL/W wire at the stock FP relay connector: I do NOT hear the FP running. This car ran fine when I parked it to do the swap, and I never had a problem with the fuel pump before doing so.

1) Is it likely at all that the pump developed a problem while sitting?

2) Is there an intermediate connector anywhere in the passenger side of the dash between the FP relay and the FP that I should check?

3) Where is the ground connected for the FP?

I have the car backed into a shelter, and getting under the back end of the car is pretty damn tight, so I'm trying to check other stuff before I crawl under there.

If it's been sitting for a while the pump might fail to kick on. Though that's pretty rare with those. I'm assuming it's an SPFI/MPFI rotary style fuel pump?

Hate to say it but the quickest way to figure this out is to check for power at the fuel pump connector while the test mode connectors are plugged in and the relay is cycling.....

There is an intermittant connector set behind the passenger side kick-panel - but it's several very large connectors with many pins. And it wouldn't tell you if there's a problem with the wiring back at the pump, etc.

I don't know where the fuel pump ground is connected but very likely it's connected to one of the harness ground "busses". If the pump didn't have a good ground then likely other things would be affected as Subaru tends to tie lots of grounds together within the harness.

GD

Yes, SPFI - it's a Loyale.

I was just recalling that as long as I've owned the car, whenever I used the turn signals, the tone of the fuel pump would change. Might be another clue.

I had already determined that I probably need to crawl under there in test mode and see whats up - might try hitting the pump bracket with a hammer while I'm under there, too.