Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adding heated windshield to 02 OB

Ionlyhave3suubs

The time has come for replacing the cracked windshield in my 02 Legacy Outback. The car did not come with the defrosting wires built into the windshield. I am looking to add that feature. Does anyone know if the wiring is already present and tucked away somewhere under the dash or something? If so, where do I find it? The windshield shop will not install the one with the integrated defrost wires if the rest of the wiring is not present and where they can hook it up.

Thanks for the info. It looks like more trouble than its worth. I had a 02 Forester X with the defroster elements on the windshield. It actually worked pretty decent in keeping ice out of the area where the wipers rest during intermit and when turned off . It also cut down on the time it took to defrost the windshield when icy. I think the Forester I had was similar to the limited package on the Outbacks. It had power everything, and heated leather seats, mirror defrost, etc. It was a nice car, but the kids were spoiled by the legroom of the outbacks so we gave up the Forester and later picked up another Outback. (Rear facing car seats don't fit so well in the back of Foresters)