Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Requesting Advice

I'm looking at a 1988 Subaru DL Wagon with 135,XXX miles. Recently had timing belt done and tune-up. It's a DL so it's got no a/c, no power steering, and roll down windows with quad headlights. I like the idea of all the manual stuff, and I'm looking for something that gets better mileage than my Outback (26mpg with Yokohama Geolanders). What do you guys think it's worth? He's asking $1100 but am willing to pay nowhere near that. At that price it would take roughly 4 years to pay itself off. How much do you guys think it's worth? It's in very good condition overall with some surface rust around the edges of the front fenders but the rest of the body and undercarriage look really good.

I had the exact same car, listed it for $1200, sold it for $900.I had done all the wheel bearings, new alt, batt, clutch, timing belt, windshield. Body was rust free, but had deer damage.

135,000 miles is fairly low, but its also about the exact mileage the original timing belt lets go if they never have been changed.

you can see his price if the car has a service history.

if there is no service history, drive the price down to $600-$800 as long as there is no obvious need for work like torn axle boots or broken exhausts.

If the timing belt is due or breaks, dont worry, it's cheap and easy enough to fix yourself, and does not ruin the engine(non-interference)

is the car 4wd?

I had the exact same car, listed it for $1200, sold it for $900.I had done all the wheel bearings, new alt, batt, clutch, timing belt, windshield. Body was rust free, but had deer damage.

135,000 miles is fairly low, but its also about the exact mileage the original timing belt lets go if they never have been changed.

you can see his price if the car has a service history.

if there is no service history, drive the price down to $600-$800 as long as there is no obvious need for work like torn axle boots or broken exhausts.

If the timing belt is due or breaks, dont worry, it's cheap and easy enough to fix yourself, and does not ruin the engine(non-interference)

is the car 4wd?

No it is 2wd which means better mileage. And the timing belt has apparently been done. I also forgot the mention the exhaust system from the cat back is new. I have yet to determine if the thing leaks, only looked at it but haven't driven it yet. I will give it a more thorough check over this weekend.

I've had a few EA82s, I'm not afraid of them mechanically. Definitely prefer doing the belts on an EJ22 though. Would 38mpg hwy be feasible? The DLs are geared the same as their GL counterparts right? I've had a couple 2wd 5spd EA82s but one would turn 3500rpm at 65 while the other only turned 3000 at 65.

doubt it'll see 38 mpg. i'd guess 35 tops consistently, but of course driving style and conditions vary. FWD EA82 XT's can get 40 on *all* highway driving...but those are better aerodynamics and have a better MPFI intake set up....and age doesn't help a motor perform at top notch.

if you want high miles and reliability out of it i wouldn't even consider the timing belts done if the pulleys weren't replaced. plan on getting the $60 ebay kits with all new pulleys. well worth the few dollars and hours. belt age doesn't matter when the pulleys seize. it slides over them, glazes, frays, then breaks. as a rule i replace all that stuff on old gens.

seems like it'll sell for $1,000 in a subaru desirable area. that rust could escalate quickly though so tread carefully depending how long you're going to keep it. i've had a couple with minor rust that turned nasty in 2 or 3 years. but minor rust here in the rust belt might be worse than down there.