Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This subject has prob been beat to death but...

I don't know if I have a 2.5 dohc or a 2.2 sohc... I am sure there is an easy way to tell but all my internet searching has found nothing (well something but I'm still confused). Any help would be appreciated by this newbie. I have an 97OB Legacy.

Thanks,

Jay

97 outback should have a 2.5 DOHC engine. However, engine swaps are very common on those because the 2.5s mostly suck, or blow, depends on how you look at it. :lol:

Anyway. EJ engine Identification:

Look on top of the engine block next to the alternator. There will be a casting that says either EJ** The stars being numbers. Its about 2 inches wide and 3/4" inch tall. As seen here. Bloc00005.jpg

EJ20 will be a 2.0 liter engine. Ej22 2.2, Ej25 is a 2.5, etc.

Cylinder head identification is easy as well. A DOHC engine will have 2 cams in each cylinder head which means it has to have 4 drive sprockets on the front of the engine. The sprockets are covered by black plastic to protect the timing belt and components from dirt/debris/etc. The DOHC covers will have a bowtie shape, and you can count four dimples in the cover, 2 on each side of the engine.

PQ6hhD5LuMOx.jpg

A SOHC head has one camshaft per head, so will only have one dimple on each side.

15.jpg

Edited by Fairtax4me