Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which struts for 93 Legacy LSi AWD SW?

Hello! I just bought a 93 Legacy LSi AWD wagon with the air suspension. All 4 struts leak pretty bad and I had to slime them just to be able to drive it. I can't justify spending $1600 for 4 new air struts so it seems my best option is to convert to coil springs. I discovered Strutmasters coil spring conversion kit but they no longer make it for my car. :mad:

This is a second car primarily for winter duty so what I'd like to know is which struts can I install to get the same ride height as the air suspension on the high setting? I've read that some outback struts fit but which ones? I'd also appreciate any info on springs. All I can find are lowering springs or oem at $60 ea. I want to put together 4 coil spring strut assemblies as economically as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.

This is a second car primarily for winter duty so what I'd like to know is which struts can I install to get the same ride height as the air suspension on the high setting? I've read that some outback struts fit but which ones? I'd also appreciate any info on springs. All I can find are lowering springs or oem at $60 ea. I want to put together 4 coil spring strut assemblies as economically as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.

search for low mileage outback struts from a 96 - 98 car. for that matter you can use non out back struts 90 - 98 maybe 99? however, i think, there is a slight difference between pre 95 vs. post 94. not major but a difference having to do with the rear mounts.you need to use the pre 95 mounts in the rear. if yours are different that may be an issue for you.

Edited by johnceggleston

I just put the OB struts in my 92 Legacy Ls wagon ( it had air ride too) The rear mounts do have to be changed, as stated above, to the older style. I used struts out of a 97 outback, and the rear mounts out of my 92. The front mounts just bolt right in. I would highly suggest doing this! The old legacys look so awesome with a bit more ground clearance.

-SB

Thanks guys! Great info and much appreciated. I'm going to look for used 96-98 Outback struts and buy new rear mounts. It appears that the 'high' air suspension setting provides about 1" of extra lift. Do you know how much longer the Outback struts are vs 92-94 Legacy struts? I don't want too much lift over stock, 1" would be perfect.

BTW 1982GL4, when you say you used the rear mounts out of your 92, do you mean that the air strut mounts are useable with coil struts? I thought the air struts used different mounts.

I used the factory strut mounts off from a non air suspension model. I used nothing from the factory air suspension. ( i have two 1992s one for parts) Sorry about that, should have been a little more clear. I can post some pics later so you can see how high she sits now it's around 2" i think.

They are 205/55/16's on forester S wheels from the early 2000's. They are bigger than stock but I think the little 14's would have looked really funny after the OB struts and springs. Plus I had these for my wrx lying around because I decided I wasn't going to drive that in the salt!

-SB

Also here's a topic similar to this http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92374&highlight=modifying+legacy+outback (though it goes into lifting which you're not wanting to do but you can ignore that part ;) )

@ 1982gl4 looks good, but I thought You couldn't use rims bigger than 15" on the older legacys because its too big for the braking system or something like that.

1982gl4 looks good, but I thought You couldn't use rims bigger than 15" on the older legacys because its too big for the braking system or something like that.

I have not had a single issue with mine so far they don't rub anywhere, and it stops, steers, and goes as is should. The speedo is a little off but, besides that it's as it should be.

I used the factory strut mounts off from a non air suspension model. I used nothing from the factory air suspension. ( i have two 1992s one for parts) Sorry about that, should have been a little more clear. I can post some pics later so you can see how high she sits now it's around 2" i think.

Thanks again! Your chassis height looks great and very close to my air ride on "high". That's exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have ABS brakes? I noticed that the 92-94 Legacys use different struts with ABS but I assume the difference is just a mounting bracket. Is this something I need to consider when switching to OB struts?

BTW, my 168k mile air suspension works great after adding slime to the front struts. The rears still leak down over night but I plan to slime them soon. Any idea how long the slime fix might last? I'd like to make it through til warmer spring weather if possible.

Edited by SubaruFred

Also here's a topic similar to this http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92374&highlight=modifying+legacy+outback (though it goes into lifting which you're not wanting to do but you can ignore that part ;) )

Thanks! I tried searching but there's really no substitute for personal experience and knowledge. Lots of good info.

Thanks again! Your chassis height looks great and very close to my air ride on "high". That's exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have ABS brakes? I noticed that the 92-94 Legacys use different struts with ABS but I assume the difference is just a mounting bracket. Is this something I need to consider when switching to OB struts?

Mine does have ABS, the brackets just bolt on one of the strut bolts that hold it onto the front spindle. I didn't have to lengthen the wires or even touch them for the strut conversion. I also used all of the spacers for the outback's subframe, the longer bolts, and hardware, and the front control arms are different too, or at least the rear mount. I have heard that you can do the conversion without the use of these, but after doing it I have no Idea how you would get the struts in without the spacers, the rear was hard enough as it was! Also I had to lengthen the rear sway bar end links.

Mine does have ABS, the brackets just bolt on one of the strut bolts that hold it onto the front spindle. I didn't have to lengthen the wires or even touch them for the strut conversion. I also used all of the spacers for the outback's subframe, the longer bolts, and hardware, and the front control arms are different too, or at least the rear mount. I have heard that you can do the conversion without the use of these, but after doing it I have no Idea how you would get the struts in without the spacers, the rear was hard enough as it was! Also I had to lengthen the rear sway bar end links.

Thanks for the extra info. I was hoping that OB struts were about 1-1.5" longer than Legacy struts but it sounds more like 2"+. This is more work than I had planned on doing. I just want drop-in coil struts. Since every 92-94 used strut I've found is high mileage, are there later model struts that I could use?

Two people, told me on my thread that I didn't need the subframe spacers, I don't know how, but they put the outback struts in, I would ask someone that know's a little more about it than just me, or wait for someone else to reply. I believe struts out of a later legacy will fit, they have slightly different rear mounts, you can drill a hole in the rear, or change out the mounts with ones from a early legacy, and the fronts should bolt right in no problem. It will just site about the same high it normally does ( When the air bags aren't flat :grin:)

Two people, told me on my thread that I didn't need the subframe spacers, I don't know how, but they put the outback struts in, I would ask someone that know's a little more about it than just me, or wait for someone else to reply. I believe struts out of a later legacy will fit, they have slightly different rear mounts, you can drill a hole in the rear, or change out the mounts with ones from a early legacy, and the fronts should bolt right in no problem. It will just site about the same high it normally does ( When the air bags aren't flat :grin:)

So did you install new front control arms? What's involved in lengthening the rear sway bar end links? Simple adjustment or longer end links? I think I know how to install the struts without the chassis spacers. I could partially compress each strut for installation. The potential problem I see with this is the struts "topping out" during normal driving if they aren't compressed enough from static vehicle load.

I'll keep searching around. It's a shame Strutmasters stopped making their conversion kit. The only kit left is from King Springs and it's going to be a special order item from Australia. I haven't found a price yet but I suspect it's going to be expensive.

Oh well, at least my air suspension is still driveable thanks to slime. Thanks again for all your help!

TheLoyale, and Goyale on here seem to know more about it, I would maybe ask one of them. I did used the front control arms, and I just had to weld like a 2" section on each side of the sway bar bushings. I would assume that you would be correct in the fact you have to compress the springs in order to put the taller struts in. I just had a whole complete parts car I paid pretty much nothing for, so I opted just to swap it all over.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111093&page=38

This is TheLoyale's thread on his wagon build up, It has some good info on the outback struts (he just put them in a new legacy so the rear mounts were already correct.

-SB

I think for the time being I'm just going to slime the rear struts and see how long the air setup lasts. When I got the car the right front strut wouldn't even air-up but now it holds air overnight but the rears leak down. I need more time to research my conversion options.

Thanks again for your help and I like what you've done with your Legacy.

If you don't mind waiting, I am going to be swapping in some outback struts and installing a 3" SJR lift on my 1990 Legacy Wagon, and my struts only have about 20k on them. I used to have air ride suspension, but the PO swapped it out when a shock failed. So they were replace about 20k ago. So I would be willing to let them go for fairly cheap. I would let them go for the price of outback struts, if/when I find them.

My plan is to do this in the next couple months (end of January at the latest), so if you want to wait I could give you mine. I might be able to do it sooner, I just need to come up with money for the struts to do my lift, so if that happens, then I can have the struts out sooner. PM me if you are interested if you can, I will watch this thread as well (you might not be able to PM).

This might work out good for the both of us :)

Edited by eulogious

If you don't mind waiting, I am going to be swapping in some outback struts and installing a 3" SJR lift on my 1990 Legacy Wagon, and my struts only have about 20k on them. I used to have air ride suspension, but the PO swapped it out when a shock failed. So they were replace about 20k ago. So I would be willing to let them go for fairly cheap. I would let them go for the price of outback struts, if/when I find them.

My plan is to do this in the next couple months (end of January at the latest), so if you want to wait I could give you mine. I might be able to do it sooner, I just need to come up with money for the struts to do my lift, so if that happens, then I can have the struts out sooner. PM me if you are interested if you can, I will watch this thread as well (you might not be able to PM).

This might work out good for the both of us :)

I might be interested but after finding numerous examples of 92-94 legacys running OB struts with no other mods I'm more inclined to go with OB struts. Also 90-91 struts are different from 92-94 and would change my ride height by lowering the front and raising the rear. I wouldn't want that.

Thanks for the offer.

No worries, good luck with whatever you do! I will have them just kicking around if you are ever in need!

Thanks! Oddly enough, although I've read that 90-91 struts and 92-94 struts interchange but with different spring perch heights, when I looked them up in the Monroe catalog the 90-91 use a different strut body than 92-94. 92-94 fronts are B9 and 90-91 are B11. Rears are both B2 bodies but the 90-91 are 1.125" longer.

I think I'm gonna go with 98-02 Forester struts for a 1.125-2" lift (F-R).

Thanks! Oddly enough, although I've read that 90-91 struts and 92-94 struts interchange but with different spring perch heights, when I looked them up in the Monroe catalog the 90-91 use a different strut body than 92-94. 92-94 fronts are B9 and 90-91 are B11. Rears are both B2 bodies but the 90-91 are 1.125" longer.

I think I'm gonna go with 98-02 Forester struts for a 1.125-2" lift (F-R).

Interesting, and good to know! Thanks for looking that info up!

And to just clarify my offer, I was only looking for about $100 for all four of the shocks ($25/ea)... So if you just need something to go in in a pinch, LMK (not to beat a dead horse, just wanted to clarify that I was not looking at new outback struts, but old/used ones :), so no worries if you are not interested...)

You should post up some pics of your ride once you get the Forester struts on it :grin: It should look pretty good! I really like the look of a gen 1 lifted leggy :)

Interesting, and good to know! Thanks for looking that info up!

And to just clarify my offer, I was only looking for about $100 for all four of the shocks ($25/ea)... So if you just need something to go in in a pinch, LMK (not to beat a dead horse, just wanted to clarify that I was not looking at new outback struts, but old/used ones :), so no worries if you are not interested...)

You should post up some pics of your ride once you get the Forester struts on it :grin: It should look pretty good! I really like the look of a gen 1 lifted leggy :)

I wish I could use your struts, that's a very good price! They actually might work fine but since I'm unsure about how the spring perch differences will affect the ride height I opted to go with 4 used loaded Forester struts and 4 new Gabriel replacement struts. I couldn't find any low-mileage Forester or Outback struts so I went ahead and got new dampers. The used struts cost $200 and the Gabriels were $200.

I'll post some before and after pics but it might not be until Spring. It's too cold right now (Brrrrr).

I have another question about swapping different struts into my Legacy. I've read that it's recommended to use the 92-94 rear strut mounts but Forester rear strut mounts appear to include the top spring perch while the 92-94 Legacy mounts don't. So, do I need to buy 92-94 Legacy mounts and spring perches? Anything else I might need like a spacer? TIA.