Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 In need

81ru

What's wrong with the current one? Usually not a whole lot goes wrong with the old pushrod engines.

First off it has sat for a year (embarrassed to admit). Before I parked it two main things were going going on:

1. dark blue/gray smoke from the tail pipe.

2. low compression test. sporadic ideal (A friend had rebuilt the carb a year before) but seemed to always have issues with getting the ideal set just right. Noted also that carb is leaking a strong fuel smell when running.

Other issues:

Engine and transmission leaks:

Oil pump leak (something with the switch??)

Valve cover caskets

Oil pan casket

Shift shaft linkage seal

Axil boots:

Needs both front axils

Engine and Trans mount:

Pre heat tube missing

Wheel barrings:

Shot in both front

Steering components:

Ball joints shot

Inner tire rods shot

Ive always taken this little vehicle to mechanics and lots of folks have tinkered with it, so I feel very removed from learning about what really might be going on. Looking to educate myself and get under the hood and get this going on my own if I can. Need a tool set and and I honestly feel somewhat overwhelmed with the project. But I don't have the heart to sell this this vehicle.

We need to know a bit about it - there were two engines used in '81.

And as above - these are very dependable and the engines routinely last 350k+ miles when maintained. What's the symptom you are having?

GD[/QUO

Where would I find this information?

The engine model should be embossed on the left side of the motor if your looking under the hood and will say either EA71 or EA81. A pic of the engine compartment will show the difference to those who know. Once they know that, they can be more helpful in diagnosing problems.