Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I'm glad I found this forum, I guess this makes my auto forum roster complete, one for the Tundra, one for the Ford Diesel and now one for the 2003 Subaru Outback........

We have a strange problem going on.........the other day our dash lights went out, everything, speedo, radio, climate etc. Knowing there are multiple bulbs I was suspicious of it being a simple bulb issue. So for a few days we were driving with no dash lights........"no officier, actually I didn't know how fast I was going, can you tell me?"..........

Anyways, so it was abotu 15 degrees out the other morning and I decided to use the remote start and fire up the car. I got out and while it is running based on the remote start, all the dash lights are on. I'm thinking "cool, maybe the gemlin fixed itself", but alas that was not to be. I got in, turned the key to the "on" position and as soon as I put my foot on the brake to shift into reverse, they all went out. We have been able to replicate this several times. It feels like a relay or grounding thing to me. Through research I have uncovered some potential areas to check in the "tail and illumination relay" and "illumination control module".

Also, I was driving behind the OB and noticed one of our rear red taillights on the corner (not the main brake lights) is out while driving, but illuminates while braking.............

Can someone help me figure this out without dealing with the Stealership?

Thanks

Steve

Sounds like a ground wire problem with your lights. Check wiring for corrosion at any grounding point, particularity where any wiring is exposed to road salt corrosion.

The tail light and braking light problem sounds like a simple bulb replacement. One of the filaments is bad, the one for the tail light, while the filament for the braking light is still good. One bulb contains both filaments.

Thanks for the reply.

I was suspecting something similar if not a relay. I can't seem to find a straight answer as to where the grounding wires are located on the OB. Shouldn't the primary suspect be the grounding for the brake lights? If so, does anyone know where that point is so I can find it?

Thanks

Miles - If the tow package comes with a hitch receiver, then no we do not have the tow package (I can't imagine what I could tow with the OB anyways :lol:).

I'd love to check the grounds, but I don't know where the heck they are or how to locate them.......the location of Subaru grounding wire is also elusive to goggle.......as I have tried for a few days in various searches and haven't found anything concrete........

I assume the open ground issue would be related to a specific grounding location where that circuit is grounded, right? Any ideas where that might be?

Thanks

Check the connections to the dimmer control and the illumination control module. You may also make some progress finding the trouble by moving the wiring under the dash around. The trouble appears to be due to a loose connection somewhere under the dash area.

Check the connections to the dimmer control and the illumination control module. You may also make some progress finding the trouble by moving the wiring under the dash around. The trouble appears to be due to a loose connection somewhere under the dash area.

Cool. Thanks. I'll mess around with it a little this weekend.......leaving the trucks at home and heading out for one last bird hunt with the dogs in the snow with the OB......the darkened OB......

Thanks for the reply.

I was suspecting something similar if not a relay. I can't seem to find a straight answer as to where the grounding wires are located on the OB. Shouldn't the primary suspect be the grounding for the brake lights? If so, does anyone know where that point is so I can find it?

Thanks

Beyond just having a bad tail light/stop light bulb, it is possible that the bulb socket is bad. I haven't seen that on a Subie, but did find that to be the problem on a Toyota minivan. In that case the plastic bulb holder was cracked, so the bulb could no longer seat properly to make good electrical contact. Replacing the bulb socket fixed the problem.

Tracking down any suspected bad grounding problem is always a pain in the neck. It is time consuming and frustrating, and best done with a multimeter to check electrical continuity and grounding. I have even rewired tail lights starting at the head light switch, when all else fails.