Ultimate Subaru Message Board

welded diff on a commuter?

mcbrat

anyone done it?

I'm fixing some stuff on the rear of Grizzly. brake pads, trailing arms, bearing...

the axles are rusted onto the diff stubs (and the outsides as well) and are not budging yet... I've got them soaking with yeild right now though...

it currently has an open diff...

I'm thinking of just ripping the whole mess out since I'm putting in new trailing arms...

and I've got more axles, and I've got 2 spare rear diffs at home. a welded one I ran for years in my Red Brat, and I got it used from WA... and the second one is a VLSD that's in pieces....

I've got newish MWE rear axles with Legacy cups (maybe). not sure exactly what combo they were, but they are longer travel, and maybe even a tad longer. I ran them on my Brat before without issue...

I also have about 8-10 spare stub shafts for the welded one...

My daily commute is about 30 miles each way... Am I gonna eat my tires up super fast if I use the welded diff? I'm not sure if I even have all the parts needed to get the VLSD back in service....

I personally feel all that extra stress on the stubs and axles driving around town makes them more likely to break on the trail. At WCSS 11, there was a sweet, highly customized, beefed up hatch. He drove up from California with a welded diff......broke BOTH stubs on the rear diff when he hit the trail (EA81 car, EA81 engine). Coincidence? maybe........but I feel there is a connection. He was the only one to break stubs that day........one other hatch lost an axle to hyper extension(different problem).

I have personally had an axle grenade pulling into a driveway when I used to run the welded all the time. I had only been running that welded diff about 3-4 weeks when that happened.

It isn't a matter of "will work" or "won't work", but rather of "is it a good idea and does it have some effect" No it isn't, and yes in the long term it does.

I think it's pretty easy to see how the extra strain could shorten the life of the stubs and axles.

Run open or LSD, or pull an axle for the street. That's my $.02

my drive to work will vary between interstate and county roads, and dry pavement to snow covered depending on whats happening... 24 deg and snowing a little today...

winter temps here will vary from -30 F to 35 F. sometimes a month without seeing any temps above freezing... Iowa is kind of fickle that way... you just never know... last year we got our first snow on October 9th, and it stayed until March/April...

Today is really our first dusting of snow. and most of it has blown away. and it'll be above freezing next thursday it looks like.... and no snow in the forecast...

My current "work" vehicle is my '72 K20 :) so Grizz will double my mileage :)

my main question was on the long commute driving part of it. I've ran welded before around town, pulled and not pulled, so that doesn't matter to me. I just wasn't sure about extended high speed (almost) running with the welded should it be dry out...

NOt related and probally deleted, but i think your nuts. I did the daily commute in a car that wasnt the best. It stunk, give me a decent legacy or outback any day.

right, but my commute options right now are either mtn grizz or my 72k20...

grizz gets at least double the mileage...

i wasna talkin about you bein a pansy mick..........i kinda know your history......

the speed thing is a valid question.but the welded diff i had in my brat did fine between here and idaho the last year i ran that brat.i was driving there about (approx 25 miles one way)three times a week for a while there.....at least that whole summer.

when i removed that chunk i found a little bit of adverse wear on the ring gear, but not much.it could have been from the setup that i did not do:grin: properly........

cheers, b

put it in and drive it. mines been in since it snowed (both axles), when the roads are bare i pop one axle out, other then that i always have the welded diff in, such a difference. i drive 38 miles one way to work, county roads, and 12 miles of hwy, havent had any problems yet driving the speed limit of 55, and even over that if i want.

breaking cups due to over extending... even with hybrid axle (es82) is a different problem, nothing with the welded diff. wouldnt be a problem if it was done correctly....

just take your turns easy!

put it in and drive it. mines been in since it snowed (both axles), when the roads are bare i pop one axle out, other then that i always have the welded diff in, such a difference. i drive 38 miles one way to work, county roads, and 12 miles of hwy, havent had any problems yet driving the speed limit of 55, and even over that if i want.

breaking cups due to over extending... even with hybrid axle (es82) is a different problem, nothing with the welded diff. wouldnt be a problem if it was done correctly....

just take your turns easy!

as a matter of fact the chunk in your car is the one i am talkin about......

you still have not put limiting straps on that car?!wtf over.......that s what i told you i was gonna do for it.you know cause i said that those shocks were what i had laying around.hrrmm, pretty sure thats what i said:rolleyes:...anyways

cheers, b

Has anyone explored the idea of adapting a front hub from a 4x4 small pickup with manual locking hubs to use with the rear of a subaru with a welded diff? I was thinking if you changed out one side to a manual locking hub, it would have pretty much the same effect as pulling out one rear axle, but you could get the benefit of the welded diff by just stepping out and locking the hub, instead of having to put an axle back in.

Yes, I know.

It was the guy who had the both his stubs break that had the welded.

The one who overextended an axle was I think an LSD, definately not welded.

His overextension was compression, since you move the arms so far from bumpstops after a lift. Extend your bumpstops:grin: Limiting straps would not help unless they where uptravel limiters. (not sure how you'd do that)

Edited by Gloyale

Yes, I know.

It was the guy who had the both his stubs break that had the welded.

The one who overextended an axle was I think an LSD, definately not welded.

His overextension is on compression, since you move the arms so far from bumpstops after a lift. Extend your bumpstops:grin: Limiting straps would not help unless they where uptravel limiters. (not sure how you'd do that)

every time i broke those axles on that car it was from extension, not compression.we are talking about a specific build.not you.cheers, b