Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Some Help? Drive shaft problem?

So I need some advice on a loyal i just got from a guy at work that has a werid problem. Its a 1990 loyal wagon 4wd 5 speed and when you have the car in FWD and put the car into gear, it just sit there making a grinding noise and wont move. Now when i put the car into 4WD the car will drive but the rear wheels are the only wheels powering it and the grinding is the same except when i turned a corner it got worse....now the guy i got it from said he replaced the cv joints one 3 weeks ago and the other one 4 months ago...also one last detail....when i looked at the cv joint on the passengers side there was a hole that was the size of maybe a nail looked like it been pushed though..this was about a inch away from the differental....so any ideas would be helpful????:confused:

thanks alot guys...ive had 4 of these cars and never seen this before....the guy i just got it from said he replaced the cv axles and last week he was at a stop light and tried to put it in gear and go and no FWD....put it in 4WD and has been RWD ever since...:-\

make sure the axle nuts are at 145 lbft and to makesure the conical washer is not worn, and the flat washer is not installed backwards.

a backwards washer will not hold torque, resulting in stripped hubs.

do some reading on"axle nut" or axle washer, look at the write-ups