Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question....? 90 loyale 4wd...

Just a quick question from the newbie....I have a 5 speed MT loyale and was wondering if the front differential is broke or toast.... will the car still drive in 4wd and just be a RWD subbie or wont go anywhere at all....because right now my car FWD aka 2WD doesnt work and i have to drive it in 4wd and then its a RWD subbie...any help ??? thanks alot

Automatic's occasionally fail - but not the MT's. They have other problems but not the front diffs.

GD

it failed because the front diff ran dry because it leaked.. it was a 2003 Forester XS that I miss big time.

besides that I don't want another AT after all that

Overall the AT's are excelent transmissions - better at AWD than the 5MT's and more reliable as well as capable of handling a lot of power. As with anything you need to check fluid levels and notice things like big oil slicks under the car :rolleyes:.

GD

the car had no oil slicks :rolleyes: my 95 impreza had transmission problems.. I lost reverse I'm more then happen with my MT now

And you probably will be till one of the following happens:

1. Rear main shaft bearing failure

2. Syncro grinding/failure

3. Shift-shaft failure

4. Blown up from too much power.

I love an MT myself - it's all I drive personally...... But reality sucks - the AT's are better tranny's. I've replaced tons of MT's. I've replaced exactly one 4EAT. They are hard to kill. One example of diff failure is not representative - I can show plenty of examples of MT failure and plenty more of AT's that just won't die. My '99 Forester has 242k on the original AT and it shifts great.

And with paddle shifters, ability to change the torque bias with a control knob, superior AWD performance...... it's hard to not like them just a little bit. Hell the 2010 Forester in my family has manual mode....:rolleyes:

GD