Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Forester Dipstick Readings

Unable to read the dipstick when the engine is hot. Have to let oil settle overnight to get any degree of confidence in the reading. When hot there is no reading you can use, the oil is everywhere. Best I can describe is that it is 3 inches or so above the top oil hole (full). Can anyone enlighten me on this or is it symptomatic of another problem like venting. Friend feels it could be plugged cat creating excessive back pressure. Engine does use 1 qt per 600 miles. Minor leaks observed, but nothing to that degree. HELP!!!

Using that much might be because of a clogged PCV valve. Check that and clean/replace it. Check the PCV hoses for obstruction as well.

How many miles on this thing?

Some leaks tend to make oil puke out when driving but not when parked so no large puddles in the driveway.

You have any blue smoke in the exhaust?

• 1 month later...
Unable to read the dipstick when the engine is hot. Have to let oil settle overnight to get any degree of confidence in the reading. When hot there is no reading you can use, the oil is everywhere. Best I can describe is that it is 3 inches or so above the top oil hole (full). Can anyone enlighten me on this or is it symptomatic of another problem like venting. Friend feels it could be plugged cat creating excessive back pressure. Engine does use 1 qt per 600 miles. Minor leaks observed, but nothing to that degree. HELP!!!

I have posted about this before...I have never seen a harder to read oil dipstick than these....I am driving a 96 and 98 outback wagon as well as a 2002 GT sedan...all have the same issue

Best bet is to pull the stick and let the oil drain off the walls of the dipstick tube....THEN check it

How long to wait? No clue> I have never waited that long

I pull and retun stick as many times as it takes to clear the oil from the walls of the tube (wiping the stick each time of course)

There's somthing odd about the design that is causing this...

a bit of a pain at first, especially for my wife...the dip stick bends into the oil pan more then most other vehicles thus making it difficult to read ..this will happen when the oil is over filled, even "slightly" over filled...get the vehicle perfectly level in "all directions" and never add more oil then what it needs to get the oil level to the very top small hole on the dip stick...when cold, pull the dip stick and wipe off , insert again and quickly pull to check.."perfectly full and car level" will show the stick to have oil on one side of the dip stick up to the top hole, while the back side of the stick will be probably be more covered....and of course the "notch" on the dip stick is only used when the vehicle is hot.. if you don't have an eye for "level", look at how the fluid in your brake master cylinder is sitting in relation to the container or instead, place a small level on top of your brake mastercyl cap to determine...and remember, if it is "close" enough, then in this case, it is "good" enough..next, place level in glove box for future use(just kidding here)

Edited by Petersubaru