Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 95 imp with a ej18 and i want to put a 2.2 short block with the 1.8 heads to keep EGR and dual port exhaust but what years of 2.2 will work with the 1.8 heads out of curiosity. (I did search but couldn't find any info)

Heres my work in progress it has,

- Ground control coil overs

- WRX wheels

- WRX front seats

- Tinted windows

- HID head lights

- Rally armor mud flaps

cid_p_00016.jpg

cid_p_00015.jpg

Edited by ()__1337_CRAYOLA__()>

Just to clarify, EJ22 engines from '95 and '96 were OBD-2 AND non-interference.

The interference factor (as I understand it) was due to a head redesign for the '97 and later models. Thus any EJ22 short block should work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

What I've been reading about building "Frankenmotors" is that the 2.2 and 1.8 heads are mostly the same, the biggest difference is the 2.2 heads flow better. So performance is better with the 2.2 heads.

Search for Frankenstein or Frankenmotor and you will find some info about it. The most threads about it are on NASIOC though.

Just drop in a '95 or earlier 2.2 - complete engine. There is no advantage to using the 1.8 heads - they are identical (and crappy just like the 2.2 heads). You can use '96 through '98 engines as well if you change to a single port exhaust manifold.

The best heads are the '97/'98 single-port heads - they have roller rockers with solid lifters and are good for a little performance boost. The single vs. dual port exhaust deal does not affect performance.

GD

I have a set of 1.8 heads going on my 2.5. I have to say the heads do not look like they flow as well as the 2.2's as stated above, but it's all I have right now and they were free! The heads you have should fit pretty much any obd1 2.2 block, and some later ones as well. But for that amount of work I would probably just swap in a whole 2.2. Also nice car! I miss my 1.8 brighton coupe a lot!

-SB