Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it the power steering pump or alternator?

SOHC EJ25. Got a light chirping noise - like bearing-ish from either the alternator or power steering pump. Fluid in the pump appears fine and with a mechanics stethoscope I really can't tell. I place the probe on the front and back where the shaft would be and don't hear anything confirming from either one.

No symptoms, steering and revving the engine don't add or change anything.

Anything else I can try?

thanks rooster, i forgot to mention I put the stethoscope on that pulley as well and got nothing. it seems closer to the top and likely the p/s or alt - but with the engine noise and my weak hearing it very well could be one of the three.

so thanks for complicating this!

i guess the easy thing to do would be to swap that pulley first then alternator second. both of those are really easy.

*** are SOHC and DOHC alt's interchangeable?

p/s pump isn't hard just annoying with the fluid and all.

Usually for me when I cant narrow this down its the power steering pump.

I have taken the belt off my GL with 2.2 swap and put that on the crank pulley and alternator alone. If the noise goes away its narrowed down to the ps pump or the belt itself.

If its the pump it can be because it has an air pocket in it. Sometimes raising the reservoir and pouring a tad more fluid in than the full line before/after doing so will clear up the noise. Sometimes I loosen the pressure side of the pump and bump the starter over with the coil pack disconnected to try to "prime" it. Has also worked but rarely.