Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blower moter resistances.

So my blower only works on 3&4. And unfortunately there aren't many loyales in junk yards around me. I've met 3 and all of them had blown resistor blocks.

What I'm wondering is, what are the resistances of the coils?

I have some resistor wire (whatever it's called, like the stuff that's there from the factory). And if someone could tell me what the original resistances are I could easily just cut some wire to length, coil it up, solder it on, and it would be done.

Or I could just solder in a solid state resistor, either way, I'd like to know what the original values are.

Or, do EJ ones have similar resistor values? EJs are a lot easier to find, even if I have to solder wires and fab something up to fit the thing in there, I just want it to work.

Having the fan on 3 all the time gets annoying ....

Do a search on this; it's been written up numerous times.

Trying to duplicate the coils is pretty difficult. Don't limit your search for the part to EA81 cars; it's the same resistor block in the EA82 cars and the chances of finding a good resistor block is much better. I'm not sure since I never tried it, but early EJ cars might have the same resistor block.

Edited by edrach

Sorry, I should have said what my car is. It's an 89. They just don't last around here because they rust out so bad.

I did a search, through the USRM and everything and didn't find what I'm looking for.

I'm also toying with the idea of making a PWM controller and just putting a variable knob in...

Sorry, I should have said what my car is. It's an 89. They just don't last around here because they rust out so bad.

I did a search, through the USRM and everything and didn't find what I'm looking for.

I'm also toying with the idea of making a PWM controller and just putting a variable knob in...

If you're building your own controller, you need to understand you have to dissipate a fair amount of wattage to reduce the speed of the blower. The reason Fuji is using coil resistors is that they are quite low resistance and in the neighborhood of 50 Watts. That's also why the resistor block is in the air stream of the blower....to cool the resistors while they are working.

I did a quick search and found this interesting item in one of the threads:

I received a reply from 1stSubaruParts.com (1-866-528-5282):

Quote:

Here is the part number you need to order 72083GA070.

Thanks

Jason

1-866-528-5282 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-528-5282 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Sincerly,

1stVWParts.com

Go to https://www.parts.com/partlocator/in...?siteid=213799 then in the section "Search by OEM Part Number:" type (or Paste) 72083GA070, from the "Select Make" listbox, choose Subaru, then click on Search.

It comes back with:

Air conditioner and heater - Blower - Resistor, 1990 - 1994, $37.46 .

I think I'll order one come payday.

I knew there was more. Found this in the OLD USMB Repair Manual.

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/USRM/mick-usrm/resistor-pack/resistorpack.html

Sweetness.Thanks. I completely forgot to look in the old USRM :o

I'll pick away at this. Yesterday I signed up for truck driving school... that starts TODAY!!

And I have to work 20 hours this weekend... hah. A little unexpected. But I'll definitely keep updated on this. I want my blower back to normal!

For $37.50 it's not really worth trying to build one unless you have too much time on your hands. Trying to figure out what kind of ceramic based adhisive caulk they use to keep the nichrome wire loops seperated, the fidgety soldering of that stuff..... headache. Spend the $40 and be done with it.

GD

Thanks for saying that GD. If it were still $70 if might be worth one's time to make your own. But being able to get a new one for under $40 makes a lot of sense. And it will probably last you for 10 years before one of the new coils burns out. A do it yourself one might need replacing every two or three years.

Yea, I'll see what I have for spare bits laying around. The problem is now I don't have very much time OR money. The lineworker program I applied for just informed me I need a CDL by fall of next year. So yesterday I called up the program near me, and they said they had a class today.... So a sort of un-expected steep drop in money and time.