Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Welcome to the USMB.

I'll give you my take on some of the different bulbs out there. The bluish light output bulbs have gotten pretty popular over the past years, and you have the major bulb manufacturers making them.

The issue with these bulbs is that most have some form of coating on the bulb glass to get the color. This coating will reduce the overall light output from the bulb by filtering a specific wavelength from light spectrum to get the bluish output. So you actually get less light output from the same wattage bulb.

I would really recommend just getting a good standard bulb. Osram Sylvania make good bulbs. I do believe they do make a bluish tint bulb if you're dead set on one.

I'd recommend checking out this website for a lot more details on lighting.

http://danielsternlighting.com/

Welcome to the USMB.

I'll give you my take on some of the different bulbs out there. The bluish light output bulbs have gotten pretty popular over the past years, and you have the major bulb manufacturers making them.

The issue with these bulbs is that most have some form of coating on the bulb glass to get the color. This coating will reduce the overall light output from the bulb by filtering a specific wavelength from light spectrum to get the bluish output. So you actually get less light output from the same wattage bulb.

I would really recommend just getting a good standard bulb. Osram Sylvania make good bulbs. I do believe they do make a bluish tint bulb if you're dead set on one.

I'd recommend checking out this website for a lot more details on lighting.

http://danielsternlighting.com/

Good call on the bluish tint to replacement head light bulbs. I got suckered into a pair of those bulbs some time back. They looked really cool, when looking at the front of your car to see the bluish lamps, but light output was terrible when driving. I ditched those bulbs in a matter of days, and went back to OEMs.

There are now brighter bulbs being sold these days. I can't remember the manufacturer, but saw their ads on TV some time ago. Suggest you talk to any parts counter guy at an auto parts store, and ask his opinion. The guy who sells them should be able to point you in the direction of who makes better bulbs.