Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Over from Older Gen...need '98 Outback help

Hey guys.

I'm over from the Older Gen group looking for your help and advice on a potential purchase.

My neighbor has a 1998 Outback, 150,000 miles with an automatic tranny. He's asking $2,200. It needs a muffler as far as I can tell.

Not know the newer Soobs like I do the older ones what else should I look for or be aware of on this model and year car? I understand that head gaskets were an issue with some of these new gen cars. Is this '98 a suspect for those head gasket issues? What else should I inspect closely?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

1997-1999 Legacy Outbacks with the EJ25D are all susceptible to head gasket failure. So check if the head gaskets are fine. If they've been changed already, supposedly the Subaru OEM gaskets are the most ideal.

I don't know much more, but the Subie experts on here can help you out here.

Also, there are tons of threads you can check out while you wait for replies, I'm sure this topic has been many times before.

150K if the head gaskets go, they go. For the 1000th time at that age ANY car can (and has) blown headgaskets.

Now look out for torquebind. All tires must match and be equally worn. Take the car out for a test drive and make a tight u-turn. The car should be able to idle through the turn (or a wee bit of throttle) without jerking or the steering wheel fighting you. There may be an initial bump or jerk, but that is the computer figuring out what is going on.

Watch for the ATF light flashing on start-up. This indicates an electrical fault. Shut the car off and restart it as the light indicates a failure on the last operation of the car.

CEL should light shut off after startup. At that mileage it may need struts.

Check the coolant overflow bottle for scum - either oily from HG issues or "magic HG cures".

45 minute ride to see if it suddenly over heates.

You can look for evidence of new HG's.

If new radiator cap (ans especially WP) and still no new HG's - odds are VERY good it needs them.

Ask the old owner what's been done and by who(to make sure they used OEM HG's, got the harmonic balancer tight, etc)

Too bad you're so far away - I have 3 or 4 of those used mufflers from cars I've parted.

ANy oil smell is likely baffle plate (requires engine pull) or VC gaskets or fromt seals.

If you think you're gonna keep it and it's an oil leaker you could just pull the engine and do it all along with timing components abd be set for a very long time.

The newest HG's for the EJ25D are a 4-layer MLS design - you can spot them if you look at the edge and count the number of layers.

'98 will have some form of MLS gaskets from the factory - probably 3 layer. Those are better than the '96/'97 composite gaskets but not by much.

If it's still got the original head gaskets - just figure on doing them premptively. The risk of bottom-end damage from overheating if they blow is too great to drive it without replacing them IMO. Also figure on a valve adjustment while you are in there - these engines are shim-over-bucket and the shims will have to be replaced to get the valve adjustment back in spec. If the timing belt wasn't done at 105k - figure on that as well and probably the water pump too since it may not have been done even of the timing belt was.....

But for $2200 that's not a bad deal - I recondition these and sell them all the time and a '98 with 150k would easily fetch $4500 around here (after I'm done with the full service, etc).

GD