Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What the!!! HG's blown TWICE!?!

Fox

Oh this is too much.. :mad: I just want a car I can drive..

A couple of years ago, maybe not even that, I replaced the head gaskets (Motorpro gaskets if I remember correctly). Now, I have a milkshake again. :mad:

I haven't a good look to see the extent of it. I was removing the spark plugs for a look/clean as the car has been running a little rough (ea81), I pulled the pcv from the rocker cover and saw the milkshake... :( this is it.. if I cant solve this in a week, the car is going to the scrapyard. I have had enough of these damn subarus.

I am not a mechanic, I am not mechanically minded, I not even a guy, I cant do half the crap that is required to keep these things running.. its a joke. I need a car, not another hobby :mad:

Is there anywhere else the water can get into the engine? The hg's should be fine.. dammit.. now I have to walk everywhere.:confused:

Any help is appreciated.. I think the soob is probably going to have to go, I am so not paying for some useless mechanic to mess around with it, even if I did have the money.

I have heard that the intake manifold gaskets can cause similar issues (not sure how but it has been suggested to me).

I am no professional either but the intake is only 6 bolts plus the egr pipe to find out and they are right on top, visible...

Dean

Head Gaskets are not a Common issue in EA81's ... Does yours Overheat?

if not, the Intake Manyfold's Gaskets are a Good Idea.

if you Really Don't want that Subie anymore, I Kindly Suggest you to trade it with another USMB member or at least to a Subie Fan, to keep it Alive; instead to send it to the Scrapyard...

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

how does the actual engine oil look on the dipstick? If it looks ok, likely its the intake gaskets, but hard to say really. These motors aren't that tempermental, if the repair was done right the first time, it probobly won't blow headgaskets for the life of the vehicle. Unless you overheat it, which is the same with overheating ANY aluminum engine. These aren't old cast iron small block chevy v8's here. what type of intake gaskets were used? if they were fel-pro or the like, it may be your problem right there.

Are you loosing coolant? A little milkshake look in certain places is actually normal if you're doing like a lot of short driving. So you might not even have a problem.

If EA81's are like EA82's then yeah coolant can leak into the combustion chamber through the intake manifold gasket.

If it turns out to be intake manifold or headgasket, then the problem is not subaru or the engine. You need a mechanic who knows what they're doing - that's true whether you have a 20 year old or 2 year old car. If you're current mechanic can't properly install headgaskets....or intake manifold gaskets...you need a new mechanic.

The intake manifold gaskets had to be removed and replaced with the headgasket job and done properly these do not leak and should have lasted you the life of the car. Something wasn't done right and I wouldn't want that person doing anything on my old toy or new daily driver.

Milkshake in the PCV system (and normal colored oil) is typically NOT head gaskets. That's usually either normal condensation mixing with the oil vapor present in the PCV or it's from bad intake manifold gaskets, etc. Typically a good cleaning of the PCV system and proper intake manifold gaskets from the dealer (aftermarket are crap) will solve that.

Seriously - I have had to replace ONE head gasket on an EA81 in over 10 years of working on them - these "damn Subaru's" are pretty damn bulletproof if you ask me. :rolleyes:

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Sorry about the tone of the original message, I am pretty annoyed..

My meagre toolbox was stolen, so this is such a pain.. Low on funds and couldnt have happened with worse timing.

I am losing about 1-2 litres a day of water, I never let the temp reach the red. When I replaced the HG's, I cleaned the PCV throughly and dried it before reinstalling it, I often walk around the vehicle while running, just to make sure everything sounds ok, it was almost pouring water out of the exhaust yesterday, 2 mins and the ground was visibly wet, yet the dipstick remains with only good oil on it. (Oil is circulating around the engine)

When I can borrow some tools, I will pull off the intake manifold, has anyone got any diagrams? I have to locate my workshop manual :confused:

I did find a few large drops of water in the air cleaner housing, on the INSIDE of the filter.. I suspect that was from the water I had just driven through though, there is a lot of splashed water around underneath the hood.

Thanks a heap for any help.. If I cant fix this, the car has to go. I was about to move house.. bad bad timing.

UPDATE:

The passenger side rocker cover is completely lined with emulsified oil, the drivers side, not so bad. A very thin lining, with black oil marks over the emulsion.

The pcv is completely lined with it, the spark plugs are wet, the dipstick shows no rise or fall of oil level, it is spot on. Does that sound like the intake manifold gasket? It wasnt done with the HG's as I was only sold 1 gasket, didn't want to risk damaging the second one.

Edited by Fox

when the HG was replaced the first time did the head go to the machine shop? also was the block checked to make sure it was flat as well? just curious cause things can warp from overheating. just replacing the gasket doesnt always work.

Edited by zacyork

Nah it wasnt machined. I have had no issues till now.

The car, since I have had it, has never been overheated, the gasket blew while I had it. I am the second owner, the car was used as a runaround in a small town, never went offroad as far as I know. Well, until I got it. The closest it ever came to overheating was yesterday, and I was in the driveway, so turned the car off and let it be. (Didnt hit red)

Edited by Fox

Nope, motorpro. Which I believe are the same as the ones the dealership here use. (Also used gasket goo, a little, not too much)

If a HG blew, wouldn't I have water in the sump?

Edited by Fox

Nope, motorpro. Which I believe are the same as the ones the dealership here use. (Also used gasket goo)

Goo is bad - that could be part of the problem. The dealer gaskets are like a mineature head gasket - they are graphite impregnated metal and are a LOT different from most of the aftermarket gaskets - which are usually paper and generally don't last long - sometimes weeks. The bolt torque on these is critical as well - 12 Ft/lbs. They are designed to be installed 100% dry. No sealant is used on any Subaru gaskets. Subaru used either gaskets OR sealants - never both. If a sealant is required it is included on the gasket already.

If a HG blew, wouldn't I have water in the sump?

Head gaskets seal four things - coolant, oil, and cylinder gasses are kept IN while atmosphere is kept OUT. A failed head gasket can be a leak that results in the mixing of any of the four. Thus the answer to your question is: Not Always.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Sorry, slight misreading. I have not replaced the manifold gaskets, I was sent one instead of two, so didnt remove them when I did the HG's.

I used goo when I installed the head gaskets, not the manifold gaskets.

Sorry, slight misreading. I have not replaced the manifold gaskets, I was sent one instead of two, so didnt remove them when I did the HG's.

That is BAD. You cannot reuse the manifold gaskets. They WILL leak.

I used goo when I installed the head gaskets, not the manifold gaskets.

That is VERY, VERY, VERY BAD! You may have shot yourself in the foot with the goo. That will prevent the HG from sealing properly. The head gaskets are of a grapite impregnated metal design (composite) which is designed to adhere to bare, clean metal. Use of any kind of sealant will comprimise that seal.

Two strikes...... time to redo the whole job. Don't blame the poor Subaru or send it to the crusher - use it as a learning experience. I know you had the best intentions for the work and used the goo to insure a better job but in this case you should have done your homework first - a couple searches or a forum post before you started the job would have steered you in the right direction.... live and learn eh?

GD

Yeah well, one subaru for sale.

I do not have the time, tools or ability to do this, obviously. :mad:

I DID NOT TOUCH the manifold gaskets, I DID NOT remove the manifold. I know they will leak if I do not put new ones on, so I DID NOT touch it.

I just lost my job, my car, my eldest dog is not well..

Where I live, no car = no job.

I was about to move house, which I can not do now.

In other words.. Im screwed.

Anyone interested in buying, PM or call me.. Alexis: 0435453955

Edited by Fox

I just lost my job, my car, my eldest dog is not well..

Where I live, no car = no job.

I was about to move house, which I can not do now.

In other words.. Im screwed.

Anyone interested in buying, PM or call me.. Alexis: 0435453955

That sucks man. Sometimes life gives you a rough time. All the best.

I am looking at a picture of the inlet manifold in the manual, and I did not remove that.

You had to. Pretty much that simple. Heads don't come off with the intake attached - not possible on a Subaru boxer of any kind. It's also a simple repair to replace the intake gaskets that you didn't replace..... might not be that hard to fix - here those gaskets are $3 each.

GD

I have, about 2 screwdrivers, no torque wrench, nothing. I wish I could. I am going to see if I can do the inlet manifold ones, I have no chance of the head gaskets.

None of my friends have anything like it, only one other girl I know has the tools.. and lives in Sydney.

Thanks for the kind sentiment.. hopefully I don't have to part with my car, I really don't want to. (I had plans to add a flip top rooftop camper and things..)

If I remember correctly, the gaskets I installed were black cardboard with metal insets/edges.. 1/3 the price of subaru ones.:-\

Edited by Fox

sounds like you've definitely narrowed it down to the intake manifold gaskets. that's amazing it lasted 2 years like that.

your best bet...unless you can find a perfect buyer willing to pay a high price for a broken car (hard to find)...is to fix it so you have something, or at least get a better price on it.

hate to see you shoot yourself in the foot. finances are tough - but they only get harder if you piss away what you have and can't make the best decision possible for the future.

you don't know one person who could help you fix this? there are dozens of friends and family (and even members here) that would help me if i needed it. it's under $10 in parts and the tools required aren't very many. not much more than 12mm bolts.