Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil leak fix in a can...

I have an oil leak that gets oil on my muffler and it smokes. I am not sure where the oil is coming from and was considering a can of leak fix for the oil system.

Is this a bad idea? Has anyone else tried any of the products on the market for this? My concern is that is might clog the HLAs or other tiny passage.

Oh, I am talking about a 93 Loyale EA82 engine just in case anyone wondered.

if you have the time I'd tell you to get new valve cover gaskets & cam seals for about 25 bucks wash under the hood really good and if it still gets oil on your muffler you'll need to pull the cam tower to re seal clean it really good i use permatex red hi temp rtv in the big silicone tube caulking gun :) & put it back in with new o rings most parts people don't know what o ring your asking for and give you one that will be sucked in to the oil hole for the cam & lifters :-\

or you can go for it & use your fix in the can and you can get one of us to do an ej20 swap for you after your lifters stop working:eek:

so that is my 2c about that fix in a can

Anything that would plug a leak, you do NOT want in your motor.

I imagine the bearings would be suffering from oil starvation long before your magic in a bottle did it's thing.

That said, I have found the auto-RX is very good at conditioning seals, and fixing "weaping" seals, that are not quite due for replacement.

Well actually two years ago I did the timing belt, idlers, rear main, brand new oil pump with the mickey mouse gasket, new water pump, cam seals and all the cam cover gaskets. The oil doesn't appear to be coming from there. The one thing I did not do was a head gasket. Could that be the source of the leak?

The source of the leak is probably the cam-case o-ring between the head and the cam carrier.

Don't fix leaks with bottles of strange fluids - bad idea. Especially on an engine already prone to hydraulic lifter problems.

Not likely to be a head gasket - the EA head gaskets are not known for weeping oil. Probably cracked cam carrier o-rings.

GD

highly recommended not to use that stuff for engines.

hard to guess on an oil leak, needs to be visually inspected. can you take and attach some pix. you said "oil doesn't appear to be coming from there" - so you looked? what did you see? central leak, passengers side, drivers side, front of engine, back?

oil leaks tend to spread from front to back and outside of engine to inside - meaning a valve cover gasket will start to get everything from it toward the center of the engine dirty over time. so track leaks as far forward and "out" as you can if it's covered.

are you SURE it's oil leaking? grease flinging from an axle boot hits the exhaust and burns too.

as for oil leaks did you replace the cam cap oring and valve cover grommets as well? what about the crank seal?

the cam carriers could also be leaking, particularly by the corner with the metal reinforced oring.

The aroma of burnt oil is what lets me know whether I'm driving the old BRAT or the old Beetle. Subaru was eco friendly by placing most of the exhaust under the engine. This allows every single drop of oil to be burnt, drawn into the cabin area, sucked through your lungs so that it can be safely exhaled into the enviroment. Whereas Volkswagen was highway department friendly. VW had more of the exhaust off to the sides of the engine to help re-surface the roadway, this allows my brother at MODOT to have Columbus day, and about 64 other days a year off with pay. As far as cans go, the only thing I've ever found that really works is a can full of seals and gaskets. Hope for the Best.

Just putting it out there - I have had the oil filter seal leak and it would smoke when the oil hit the cat/exhaust, mostly when I was driving...the wind was pushing the oil from the filter onto the exhaust and the cars behind me would eventually pass me with a one finger salute...

... Subaru was eco friendly by placing most of the exhaust under the engine. This allows every single drop of oil to be burnt, drawn into the cabin area, sucked through your lungs so that it can be safely exhaled into the enviroment. ...

Ha, Ha, Ha ... :lol: ... LoL!

Probably the Funniest Post I've Read in Long time, but he's Somehow Right...

Have you Double-Checked your Engine's PCV System?

Kind Regards.

Wel I definitely won't put any of that stuff in there. Thanks for the comments everyone. I replaced all the grommets and seals for the cam tower when I did the timing belt two years ago. That doesn't mean it can;t be the source of the leak though.

Has anyone here ever used the UV leak detection kits?