Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Distributor Play

All,

I just got an '82 Brat and am trying to figure out what I thought was a fuel starvation problem, but am not so sure now.

I've replaced the fuel filter by the pump and the vapor separator in the engine compartment. It still bucks like it's starving for fuel at times, but I also notice the tach fluctuating a few hundred rpm on occasion.

I'm now honing in on the distributor as my problem. I've read various posts about checking for play, but am not sure how to do this. I removed the rotor button and can get about 1/8" of side to side movement on the shaft. The vertical movement is more at about 3/16" of travel. Is this normal, or is this the play that I should not have?

Is there another way to check for the play?

Thanks, Allan

If it has enough play to feel, it is suspect.

There really shouldnt be any side to side play. 1/8 inch is WAY too much. This is evident of a worn upper bushing.

The distributor is designed to "float" up and down, but 3/16 is too much.

You need a new dizzy.

hi, these came with either nippondenso or hitachi distributors, if you replace it, the hitachi seems to hold up better, and most guys seem to prefer them . the coil needs to be the same as the distributor whitchever manufacturer you use, it has something to do about the resistance in the distributor electronics needs to match.

I replaced the disty on my '83 (it's a Hitachi) about 150,000 miles ago, and it wasn't because of the symptoms Alanbegg described. Mine caused the "ECS" light to illuminate, and when I replaced the disty, the lighr never came on again.

I am however experiencing the symptoms he described, on an occaisional basis..it comes and goes. I just deal with it figuring it's just part of the novelty of driving with a carburetor :lol: . I could be all wrong about that, as itdoes kind of feel like some kind of electrical/ignition induced bucking.

Just my 2 bucks, staying tuned. :popcorn: