Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Input on minor tune for 98 Outback, SAN DIEGO

I am over here from the Old Gen section. I am slowly working my way toward EJs, but in the meantime I am flying down to San Diego in a couple days to visit a buddy then he and I are going to drive back to Oregon in his 98 Outback. Apparently his cel came on recently, and he is in a relatively low-cash situation. I am having him take it to a parts store to get the codes and will report them later.

I am putting together a list of tune-up items we can go through before our little road-trip. For some reason I am not getting very far with my search efforts...I have looked this stuff up before for other friends, but I am having trouble this time.

So far here is what I've got (verification and input is much appreciated):

Plugs: NGK BKR5ES11 (is this what we need?) I have a gap of .044 is this correct?

Wires: NGK FX50 (?) http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=946560

MAF Sensor: MAF sensor cleaner + a delicate touch (I found a description that this is a silver round thing on the end of the air-box. Round as in cylindrical? Which end of the air-box?)

IACV: Throttle body cleaner or Seafoam through IAC while car is running. (?)

It seems like I have found a video of the cleaning process or something like that on here before, but I could not find it again. If anyone can provide a link that would be great. Ultimately I am not exactly sure where the IACV is located.

TPS: Carb cleaner on throttle plates (?)

And PCV valve, fuel filter, air filter, sea foam in tank.

"The" O2 sensor was apparently new when my buddy bought the car about a year ago, but it is my understanding that there are pre and post cat O2 sensors (?)

I am assuming that the pre-cat O2 was replaced. If the codes indicate a faulty O2 or knock sensor, are there specific brands we should go for?

Are there any other not-so-expensive things we should do?

Lots of questions I know. We won't have a huge amount of time to do this, so I am trying to prepare as much as possible beforehand. Thanks in advance

Edited by ferox

That all sounds fine till you know the codes for sure..... though I wouldn't mess with the IACV. Those aren't typically a problem until you get well up in the miles, etc. Cleaning them typically involves removing them from the intake (rear, passenger side near the TB). They have coolant running through them so if you remove it be prepared to top it off, etc.

For O2's I prefer the NTK brand (NGK's sensor division). Discount Import Parts carries them.

GD

So my friend has called around to all the parts stores in his area (San D.) and none of them claim to have OBD readers to check customers codes. They told him to go to a shop, which I presume will want to charge him for the service.

Any San Diego members have suggestions as to where to go to get codes read? '98 OB

Just about any parts store will Scan the CEL for you in hopes that you'll buy the part to fix it while you're there.

Honestly though, I don't see what you're worried about. If he drives it every day anyway, do an oil change and hit the road. Its a Subaru. Barring catastrophic failure (head gaskets, timing belt) it'll run just fine for the few days you'll spend on a road trip.

Anybody wanna guess on the code? P0420 if you're lucky, maybe P0325 if you're not. :grin:

Ok he found a pep boys that did the code read, even though it took them 4 hours. Some of the parts stores were saying there was a liability issue so they stopped doing reads for customers.

He got codes P106 and P301.

We have the plugs but are having trouble locating a NGK or factory wire set that does not require 4-5 days to receive. Anyone know who has the hook-up?

Thanks

DTC P0106 - PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE PROBLEM

snag one from the junk yard for a few bucks,

DTC P0301 - CYLINDER #1 MISFIRE

plugs and wires. also could be the bad sensor causing lean/rich misfire.

:)

it also sucks when you have P0442 - EVAP LEAK .5MM OR LESS

Edited by Ricearu

We had to call a couple dealers and drive a bit, but we finally got everything we needed. We installed everything yesterday, and there was a huge improvement in performance. The engine seems to be running pretty much perfect, but the cel is still on. We disconnected the battery for about an hour while we worked on it, but other than that we haven't done anything to clear codes.

Do we need to do anything else to clear the cel? We have only driven approx. 40 miles.